Daily Update ~Loch Garten Nest~ Sunday 22 April 2018

Yesterday's Daily Update saw some some gripping action, including the return of sound, a couple of fish deliveries  and much much more. Here's to today being a great day for EJ the Phenomenal and her mate. Here's to that young Osprey continuing to improve. I personally believe in him and think that he will get better and better. I suppose it’s hard for a young male Osprey not to be a bit starstruck by EJ.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Thanks CRinger for all the fishing times information - it was me that asked :-)))   Also for the info about EJ wing flapping behaviour.

• Impressive! I think 'time of day' is also very important. My record number of Ospreys in the air at any one time at Rothiemurchus was at 6.30 one morning. Within an hour of dawn you were always certain to see them fishing. Late in an evening was also a fairly good time. I would imagine by now they do not welcome visitors around dawn - I count myself lucky to have been allowed access at 'weird' times. When the fish farm 'opened for business' there were far fewer Ospreys attempting to fish.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Thanks everyone for all the updates and captures.    

Glad to see the male has delivered a fish albeit a small fish tail but he is learning and seems to be doing an great job defending which I suppose to him is top priority.

Meantime, checking on the nest and it is nice to see EJ relaxed on her eggs just now.  

Edit : Spoke too soon, EJ wing flapping

and something flew by !

• Hi everyone ☺

Many thanks for all the updates pictures etc. Good to see the young male has been trying hard to do his job. He's got a brilliant tutor in EJ The Phenomenal.

She's on the eggs just now looking splendid.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• EJ got up called and flapped in the wind.

Quieter calls............

Someone just flew over. Must be Junior as she is fish calling full belt now.

• I think he must have flown off. EJ looked startled, went quiet and now she's back on the eggs.

• Just noticed the black spot on one of the eggs!  Hope it is just a mark / piece of bark and not a puncture! 

• A few spots of rain.  That, with the wind, won't aid fishing for young Junior!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I can see what you  mean, KAREN, but it is so difficult to tell.  I have been thru my pics, but we don't get zoom on the cam this year, so there have been no close-up shots as Dyfi and Glaslyn have, and different lights change the look of the eggs.  Your shot makes them look pretty similar in shade, in some of mine they are distinctly different.  The second one is much more like a brown chicken's egg.  Another case of waiting and watching!

• I haven't been watching all the time - we get sunshine so rarely at the moment, and the garden weeds need desperate attention - but each time I have come in EJ has been sitting quietly, dozing at times.  Her head drops very slowly until she raises it quickly.  The few drops of rain came to nothing, but the sky is interesting.  Now the sun has come out 14.42.

Sunny EJ

S

Snoozing EJ

What?  Did I drop off?