Daily Update ~Loch Garten Nest~ Wednesday, 18 April 2018

As if she has not to endure enough in her long life, EJ is now in the predicament of having laid an egg (scylla's video) in front of poor Paul's eyes without having found a suitable companion. She has not incubated the egg since she laid it at around 2:25 am, choosing though to guard it rather than abandon it to go fishing. We have no idea if it is viable, and where the two males are in the fish delivery department (RSPB FB post). Indeed EJ herself may be wondering. In fact, one or two of the males showed up for nookie (not Newman? and Newman?), and puzzled over the appearance of the Egg, but no fish was forthcoming despite her nagging. EJ was left standing on the nest next to the egg in windy weather (scylla's vid), which is where she is now ever since morning. Quoting scylla,

scylla said:
You're not alone being confused... hold hands!
 © RSPB - Loch Garten and Carnyx Wild

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Hi, Scylla!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Mike B said:

Yesterday evening CC asked about egg viability. If CRinger appears later may be we could get an opinion/answer please.

My guess is that the egg is viable, if fertilised, for a while yet?

Cringer has been here some time. :-)

I think I posted somewhere yesterday that if incubation of the egg was not commenced (and I do not think we have any evidence that it was) then it will probably remain viable for up to perhaps 3 or 4 days after it has been laid. But the longer it sits there the greater the danger it might get trampled in mating attempts and / or disputes involving territory. EJ, bless her, protected it from Pine Marten predation during the night, but may be forced to go fishing soon unless one of these males decides to do what the books say he should do and bring her a fish - in which case she will leave it open to predation by e.g. Corvids.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Morning All - thanks for all the earlier updates and captures.  What a clash with the BD female!  Well captured Scylla.

Just now I see EJ standing by her egg as she did yesterday.  I do think if any of these males were interested in the nest and EJ then they would have delivered a fish by now.    

Horrible situation for EJ and I just hope the media don't start all that soap palaver for sadly this is real.    

• Karen W said:
     I do think if any of these males were interested in the nest and EJ then they would have delivered a fish by now.    

I find myself hoping that a stronger male will come along and see off these two pretenders!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare Bailey said:

I do think if any of these males were interested in the nest and EJ then they would have delivered a fish by now.    

I find myself hoping that a stronger male will come along and see off these two pretenders!

[/quote]
    Interesting comment Clare and is very possible.    I read a tweet last night reminding us about Mrs G in 2015.  Mrs G unsuccessfully laid eggs to two different males before pairing up with Aran.  She laid a further two eggs (seven in total that season) which successfully hatched.   
    So there is hope - we just need a new stronger male to see off those two pretenders.
  • Scylla, i can see how from afar the intruder that EJ allowed to mate with her, looked like Odin to you. And you having named his name propelled my brains wishfull thinking department into action mode, where i thought i had let go of Odin.

This looks like a new new new male to me.

But chances are the intruder female comes along with this male. I hope they are not a set of two determined Osps...?

(Because i have set my mind and money on EJ bonding with a good partner this season on this nest. But what i do or think is irrelevant, i’d better stick to observing.)

Oh, and i am ok with the Flash stream quality, the button Flash-option is still there. No clue if that would be any good for recording.

2016: first time in history an Osprey nested in the NL. 2018: 2 active nests! 2019 a storm interferes. 2020: a third active nest in a tree! 

• Good morning all. I didn't like the BD tangle. Poor EJ. I hope she gets a fish today.

Just now, a stretch

• A jump and lots of mad flapping

Shouting