Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 11 February 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week! 

• We have just had a great time with an RAF colleague of OH and his wife. Last seen 33 years ago. They live in Broughty Ferry and were up here for 3 nights.  We met up yesterday in A town pub with TVs and watched 6 nations which thankfully Scotland won. Today we picked them up and went to Dores beach, then on to have a very nice lunch at North Kessock followed by a visit to a very cold Cannonry (no dolphins) and finally Tiso for a much needed hot drink. I have only known them for a little over 24 hours but already they feel like old friends. They catch the train home tomorrow.

• Thank you, Pat, for your descriptions of your amazing trip. The places and the people certainly seem to have touched you, and I'm sure it will stay in your heart forever.

Dibnlib: Sounds as if you've had a super time with your OHs friends. I bet they come back sometime to visit again, after enjoying themselves on their visit!

Bjane, please don't shovel snow, you'll strain something. :-(

-------   --------    --------   --------   -------

Bonnie has been enjoying herself, rolling in the snow. 

Sis in law has had Awful Cousin on the phone again.........

• Lindybird said:
    Sis in law has had Awful Cousin on the phone again.........

Oh, blimey ........... can't she arrange for her to be dropped off a cliff somewhere?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I'm continuing to catch up with my photos.  I'm in February now - click on these lovely whooper swans if you'd like to see more:

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Hallo all:

Lindybird: "Garden under control" is a contradiction in terms!  Will watch the ice-skating tonight - recorded and interrupted by tons of adverts and background videos on contestants!  :-(     OMG: Is Awful Cousin planning another visit?  Suggest you all make plans to be out of town for the entire summer!

OG:  Good the car order is going through - but let's get to the important part: Do you get to choose the color?  :-)

PatO: I saw the movie The Killing Fields when it came out in 1984 - it was very powerful and disturbing. Apparently, the actor who played the part of photojournalist Dith Pran (on whose experiences the movie was based) had in fact suffered through Pol Pot's regime himself.  Gosh, was that two snakes you encountered in your rooms?

bjane: What can I say? You'll just have to relocate!  :-)   Still, spring is on the way - the trees in the YMCA's parking (our local wonderful gym/pool/family activities center) are in blossom.

dibnlib: Nice you connected with OH's RAF buddies.

Clare: Don't think I'm ignoring your pix - I have a hard time keeping up!  :-)

Off to organize lunch....

• Unknown said:
    Don't think I'm ignoring your pix - I have a hard time keeping up!  :-)

Sorry.  I went weeks without posting any and I'm now trying to catch up.  On the day I saw the starling murmuration I took more than 800 photos and I've been bracing myself just to go through those!  I get carried away.

• Unknown said:
    I saw the movie The Killing Fields when it came out in 1984 - it was very powerful and disturbing. Apparently, the actor who played the part of photojournalist Dith Pran (on whose experiences the movie was based) had in fact suffered through Pol Pot's regime himself.  Gosh, was that two snakes you encountered in your rooms?

I've never seen the film but the actor was Haing Ngor and he did, in fact, survive the Pol Pot regime.  His story made grim reading.

• I haven't seen the film, and we didn't get to the Killing Fields - quite honestly, I was not sorry, as the Genocide Museum was harrowing enough.  Speaking to people whose lives and families had been touched by the events was both harrowing and humbling.

As far as I know ... there was only one snake.  There were several geckos, so the mosquito nets were useful.  My friend had a swarm of flying ants in her bathroom at the same hotel as my snake (and a gecko) - obviously good for wildlife there!  The accommodation consisted of bungalows surrounded by vegetation - a wonderful habitat for anything looking for a good home!  It was very pretty - but perhaps a bit too 'wild' ...

• Just over a week ago Limpy and I visited a cemetery where hawfinches were showing well.  If you'd like to see some photos click on this gorgeous bird:

• Lindybird-not to worry..I shovel when it's two inches and under. Three inches and over my younger son comes over and does it for me. We have had a week of snow every night. Sometimes an inch or two, other times up to six inches. Supposed to calm down for awhile now. Hope Awful Cousin has no plans to visit.