My first visit of February was sunny ........ with a very special sighting.

The first Friday of February was a beautiful, sunny day.  As I headed out around the Scrape with David the guide I looked forward to seeing plenty of different birds, and I wasn't disappointed:

David's one of those people who relentlessly manages to see loads of common scoter offshore whatever the weather.  On this occasion they came so close even I could see them!

The immature glaucous gull flies past - the sunlight looks lovely on those white wingtips.

Mr Mallard is looking good!

I know it's a traditional shot of a lapwing but those colours are too beautiful to miss.

A colourful shelduck.

Mrs Wigeon and her bodyguards.

A distant marsh harrier.

It came closer!  Lovely.

One of two curlews lurking about.

Ooh, the lapwings have spooked ........ what could be about?

Who's this?  Those wings look distinctly pointy.

This is most definitely a bird to strike fear into any small wader (and a fair number of bigger ones) ............

............. a magnificent peregrine falcon!  By this time the shrieks of 'OH MY GOD' were repeatedly being heard in the hide.  Thankfully the bird was too far away to be bothered.

This is, in fact, an immature bird - the chest is vertically streaked, not horizontally barred.

It obligingly turned around and showed its other side.  What a fantastic bird.

A nice synchronized display from the shelducks.

There was excitement on the West Scrape as this family of whooper swans was identified by another guide!  What a great end to the morning.

Enjoy!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.