Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 11 February 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week! 

• CAMBODIA Chapter 2

Over the next few days we visited an HIV/AIDS prevention and education clinic in a small village; a savings group where the villagers are encouraged to save whatever they can to aid community members in times of difficulty; a meeting with police, village elders, volunteers and villagers discussing problems of domestic and child abuse, and trafficking; there is a lot of alcoholism in the villages, leading to violence - the main drink is home-made from locally-grown sugar cane - we were advised not to try it!  We also visited a school in a remote village organised by WRC volunteers; and an even more remote village where we joined a Christian cell church meeting learning the story of creation as told in Genesis.  Some of the group (not me!) stayed in this village overnight and were made very welcome by the people who had very little but wanted to share what they had.

We did get some sight-seeing as well!  The waterfront on the outskirts of the city of Phnom Penh has been very well designed and you can watch boats on the Mekong alongside shops selling the most unlikely things – the one that stood out for me was a coffin shop!  Tuk-tuks – four-seater ‘carriages’ pulled by motor-bike – are the preferred tourist mode of transport, and are great fun, if a bit open to the fumes.  The traffic in the city is unbelievable … how there are so few accidents is a miracle.  Wave upon wave of motor-bikes with up to four people on them – some wearing helmets.  Children and dogs also travel this way.  They also carry any items of shopping – or half a dozen mattresses – or the odd wardrobe – or even travelling shops selling cleaning implements, toys, clothes, coffee – anything you can imagine and many things you couldn’t!

The royal palace is a must-see.  It’s opulent and enormous, with beautiful formal gardens.

• Pat O - Very interesting. I look forward to more. Thanks

• PatO: Now I'm wondering about the history of Cambodia and how those villagers lived, if those problems always existed and if not, at what point did they become so prevalent.  Good you go to do some sightseeing too, but did the morning's activities color your perspective?

Finally! Done with the huge shrubs along the back of the house. Yay. And just two more rose bushes to prune back for the spring.

Have a good Monday all!

• The Khmer Rouge, under Marxist Pol Pot, was in power from 1975 to 1979.  Under their regime many were killed - numbers vary between one and a half million and three million.  Millions of Cambodians from the cities were forced into the countryside to work on communal farms.  Starvation, disease and execution wiped out entire families.  They particularly targeted educated people – doctors, teachers and ‘anyone wearing glasses’.  

The present director of World Relief Cambodia told us of his personal experiences.  He was in his early teens and, as he put it, he ‘did what he was told’ – which meant jobs nobody else wanted to do.  He was careful never to remove his clothes in front of other people because his skin was paler than that of most Cambodians – his mother was French.  He frequently went without food and brought tears to many eyes when he told of seeing someone throw orange peel from their car – he grabbed it from the road and he said it tasted like nectar.  He eventually made his way to America, where he and his family now live, but his memories of that time are still very raw.

• Good Morning, All.  Snow here, yesterday evening, and it's still here this morning, although only a thin crisp layer. Very frosty and cold. We're certainly getting a real winter this year.

Thank you for your descriptions, PatO - what an interesting trip you had, to a place most of us know little about.

• Today's pic:

This is labelled "Happa Warrior" so that may be his name.

• Woke up to a light covering of snow, but not a bad day so far and J got to Dumfries and back safely.  Not doing much here today - just bits and pieces around the house.  Received official approval from Motability for car order - vehicle still on the way from Europe.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Good that the car order is going through alright, OG.

Annette - Its a good feeling, knowing you've got the garden under control!

The snow has only melted here where the sunshine has been hitting it - some areas are still white in the street and the garden. Our garden birds have been fighting over the things I put out, poor things. We've been busy the last two days, putting things back in the bedroom and sorting stuff out. Rehanging the pictures, mostly in the same places - my OH held up two small ones and said "Where do these go?" -- they are two which sit at the top of the stairs and we see every day, and they've been there for about 12 years!!

Watching the Ice Skating in the Olympics, now. They are all staggeringly good.

• This was prepared for my church magazine, so the final paragraph may not resonate with all of you.  But it lets you know what I felt about the trip overall.

CAMBODIA - CHAPTER 3

We left Phnom Penh for the long two-day journey to Siem Reap and the temple complexes.  We stayed in a lovely hotel on the way, where I had a closer-than-needed encounter with a snake in my room!  I preferred the geckos.  

Our hotel in Siem Reap was luxurious – but we didn’t really have time to enjoy it.  Sunrise at Angkor Wat meant a 4.00am start.  And another temple complex quite a distance away meant a second not-quite-so-early morning.

Cambodia is a country of contrasts.  Mile upon mile of open ‘empty’ countryside compared with skyscraper hotels and packed housing areas.  Luxury cars and brand-new motor-bikes compared with people living in huts.  Satellite dishes and the latest mobile phones compared with malnourished children and very few ‘older’ people.  One lady was proud to tell us she was 72, which appears to be quite an achievement.

I can now tick Cambodia off my list.  I was so fortunate to see not just Angkor Wat, which had been my dream, but also to have had the privilege of meeting WRC staff and seeing some of the wonderful work they are doing to bring not only knowledge and resources to people in outlying areas, but also to see how God is working, through them, in the country.  At present only two percent of Cambodians are Christians; those we met were so filled with the Holy Spirit and wanting to share their faith to bring others to Jesus.  My prayer is that the wonderful work they are doing will be recognised and accepted, and that more people will join this small group of dedicated disciples in spreading God’s love throughout this beautiful country.

• Annette- You're pruning roses and I'm shoveling snow....12" on the ground and -2 this morning. I'm ready for spring!