Osprey Q & A

This thread is a total experiment! I thought of it because a few nights ago, a lot of of useful information about ospreys was being posted in the LG Diary comments, but because of the blog format, it will be out of sight once a new blog is posted, and easily forgotten.       

The idea for this thread:

·         To provide a place for people to ask questions about ospreys at Loch Garten, or ospreys in general, which members of the Forum will answer to the best of their ability. NB Questions directed to the team at Loch Garten, should still be posted in the Comments area of the Loch Garten Osprey Diary.

·         To preserve the answers for future reference

Asking Questions

For clarity, please only ask one question at a time.

Replying to Questions

Try to be specific, giving links to the relevant information where possible, or quote your sources. If you are giving your own opinions, recollections or theories, please make that clear.

If the question you are answering is not the last post in the thread, please use the Quote facility to include the question in your answer.     

General

To make it easier to search for the topic in the future, use the Tags field. For example, if your question is “Is Odin really Scandinavian?” enter “Odin” in Tags.

• Rachel thank you very much for your reply and honestly I am more open minded than before and know it does not sound like it and wish I had been quiet but then if you are frightened to say anything it all builds up :) I feel like I am the only one against but do follow as if tracked you cannot help :(  I do understand both sides. I do.

One thing I have noticed in Scotland is that a lot of rivers are drying up this is something I have not seen before but only been here 7 yrs. Obviously they do.  The river Tay has so many stones at the side and very low but Ospreys are still doing ok as plenty of other places to fish :)  Well we should not complain as no doubt will be back to rain.

• No harm in saying what you think, and, as someone said recently in a related context, the only bad/ stupid question, is the one that doesn't get asked :-)  How else do we all learn, be that Professor Bigwig in his ivory tower, or the 2 year old whose vocabulary seems limited to "why"?

I think most of us here know you well enough to know that you only ask and worry because you care, even if we sometimes find it a bit frustrating when you can't accept things that seem obvious to us. Different people see things differently. I don't get the impression Christ thought any less of Thomas for doubting until he saw the evidence for himself, for all that some of the others were willing to take it on faith.

• Rachel I have to smile and accept things and do not think I will ever agree with some and oh have toughened up and not got close this year:) That is the truth :)

So many ringed have turned up this year and sad the LG  Osprey and not sure if male or female found dead at 17ryrs  old.  They are out there and a fabulous yr. Do you know the parents?  Well before my time but so sad but exciting.

• Unknown said:

So many ringed have turned up this year and sad the LG  Osprey and not sure if male or female found dead at 17ryrs  old.  They are out there and a fabulous yr. Do you know the parents?  Well before my time but so sad but exciting.

Red TA was a son of the legendary Ollie and Olive. Well before most of us woke up to the wonderful world of ospreys, I think. At that age you have to think he had probably been breeding for many years, unknown even to Roy Dennis and the Loch Garten team, so his descendants should still be out there, even if we may never know who they are. 

Judging by the reports on BirdGuides, 2 year olds are still arriving, so fingers crossed for a few more welcome returns before the end of the season :-)

• Rachel always hope and where was Orange 11/98 untl  2004 maybe wrong and the nest was blown out and amazing yellow 37 at Kielder and first born of Orange 11. Also YA and a naughty boy and hope not in nets  next year. This is not for here but I am delighted :)

I just think it is amazing Red TA lived 17 yrs I have always said so many not spotted and a lot not ringed or even  if so not identified.

What a year and fantastic

Not for here but smiling

• I am sorry that this thread has fallen into disuse. However the idea of it was to be a place where people could make requests about various things. 

• Thanks for posting the EJ in Court discussion. It is hilarious and I'm very glad that EJ was thoroughly acquitted!

I have a different question, I've been meaning to ask for probably 2 years but never have done....

It's for Tiger or ChloeB - Why is imagicat called imagicat?

I'm curious, because it's not an obvious title for an osprey data site! Thanks!

Chocoholix shiny new 2018 Interactive Osprey & Chick Chart! (with clickable links!)

• Good morning.  I've just been watching a changeover on the Dyfi nest with Glesni managing to shift a reluctant Monty - but what I wanted to ask about was the fact Glesni started eating a clump of something as she settled back onto the eggs.  Does this help their digestion or is it a boredom thing?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• chocoholix said:
    It's for Tiger or ChloeB - Why is imagicat called imagicat?

CHOL:):)

imagicat............image capture

or i..information.....magic......... at @

Interesting.....