Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 14 January 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

The New Moon (the dark moon) is the night of 16 January/morning of 17 January.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Western Meadowlark
William L. Finley National Wildlife Refuge, Oregon USA
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Photo labelled Public Domain (Copyright-Free)

• Evening all:

Diane: Thank you for the cheery Meadowlark - and such a chirpy collection of calls.

AQ: Sorry about missing outing with friend.  No pastries for either of you by the sounds of it.

PatO: I'm sure I've missed you, but hope you have a WONDERFUL time. (If it's any consolation, I'm  not at my happiest when flying!).  As to movies, there will be so many to choose from on the 'planes' "video system, you'll probably spend the whole fllight just looking at the options.   As for movies, my OH and I went to see The Darkest Hour yesterday - it was excellently acted (not sure how much was invented to speed things along though).   Not a big scifi fan myself. although I did like Close Encounters when it came out. Not sure I'd watch it again now.  I liked The Lives of Others, about the Stasi's surveillance of a writer and his partner in East Germany.  Also liked Death at a Funeral - hysterically funny!  And lots of others - if only I could remember them.  

OG: Glad you had such a nice visit with Miriam - they do wear you out, but in the nicest possible way.

Lindybird: Love the Tatton Park photos.  When I was in the UK, saw many deer as we drove through Woburn Abbey - couldn't get  over the size of some of those anntlers.

Heather: I love it that Callum comes to your house to clean his car - do you have a very long hose or a large driveway or do you provide treats!  :-)

I'm a bit worried about our frog.  We haven't heard a single croak since the storm......

• Woke early after sleeping well; weather looks okay to go - forecast gives possible light snow tonight!

LINDA - sorry about window.

CLARE - a great variety of birds.  Redshank looks very proud!

ANNETTE - I hope the Frog wasn't overwhelmed by the storm!

Breakfast!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Good Morning.  Still dark here, after a night of rain lashing on the windows. Not a good forecast for this week, lots more of the wet stuff!

OG - Good that you're managing some good night's sleep. Hope that you can enjoy your outing today.

My OH is suffering with a head cold, and also says that he's had some stomach cramps, so feeling a bit off today. I thought he was quiet yesterday. We are discussing whether to get some decorating done before we go away in March, so that we can then enjoy the summer.

• Today's pic:

Uniform day!!  ----   "You'll grow into it!!"

• Linda: I think we all know that comment!!!

• Lindybird said:
    Good Morning.  Still dark here, after a night of rain lashing on the windows. Not a good forecast for this week, lots more of the wet stuff!

Good morning, Lindy.  We've got the same here but it's supposed to be better after today.

Good to know you've slept well, OG!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I haven’t spoken to Dau yet but we were startled to see their suburb on the news last eve. A deliberately lit fire in the gully threatened homes about 5-10 mins walk from their home. Only grass & trees burnt, quickly under control, but it set me thinking what would be my plan if we had to evacuate while I was alone with Twins. Bundle them into my car (no child seats) and head for a large park nearby. Oops, I forgot about Toby. Don’t tell Dau.

• Lindy: I usually try to make happy or at least positive posts on this thread, so I hope folks will forgive me for this one. I want to make sure you know that the H3N2 flu that is now widespread in the U.S. is very dangerous, and people are dying here. If your OH continues to feel ill, DO NOT WAIT to take him to a doctor. Be proactive, because this virus is much worse than most flu types. It's crucial that people receive antiviral drugs early. Sorry, folks. 

• Oh dear, AQ, I hope you all stay safe!!!

• Don't panic!

www.bbc.co.uk/.../health-42602394

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!