Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 17 December 2017

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY DECEMBER SOLSTICE

Please check back to last week's thread for information from Annette on the fire threat!!! She posted photos that you will want to see!!!

The December Solstice is Thursday at 4:28 p.m. in the U.K, 11:28 a.m. in the eastern U.S., 8:28 a.m. in California, and Friday, 22 December, at 2:57 a.m. in Adelaide, Australia! 

Everyone have a great week, and STAY SAFE, ANNETTE!

Juvenile Red-Tailed Hawk
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Photo labelled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Did not get ash cleaned up as planned - other calamities ensued - but just came back from vacuum cleaner shop and the Entire World is there buying HEPA bags and filters.  One man walked out with four air cleaners at $899/each!!  

Will catch up later...

• If anyone would like to see my Minsmere photos click on this obliging bird:

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Thank you, Clare.  I did enjoy - as always!

• You are exceptionally kind - as always!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Nice photos, Clare. I loved the Konik ponies and the red deer!

Heather: I had bought a massive bunch of supplies and groceries, so I was congratulating myself on not having to visit a store/shop until after the holiday.  Then my Dad's cousin -- who has recently broken her hip -- called me and asked me to bring her some vitamins when I visit her on Christmas. So now I will have to brave the crowds, anyway. Sigh...   Best wishes to you and your family, Heather. 

• Oh my. I missed the launch of Space X's Falcon 9 rocket this evening - from right up the coast at Vandenberg - which was apparently absolutely dazzling. Here's the link www.cbsnews.com/.../spacex-launches-10-more-iridium-next-satellites  of a video taken from Los Angeles.  I was even running an errand right before then!  :-(

AQ: Hope you'll be in shape for Christmas Day - are you hosting or being a guest this year?

Harelady: I feel the same way about driving in Los Angeles. I can't stand it and only do it when I'm zipping through en route to Arizona and it's bad enough then.  Don't know how people can stand to commute but then again, the rapid transit system is pretty bad here.

Diane: Don't envy you having to revisit the stores just for vitamins. 

Spent hours decked out in my mask, gloves and miscellaneous gear,  sweeping and bagging ash before gently hosing the remains into the garden...

Have a good Saturday everyone.

• Good  Morning, Everyone.  Up early, here, as another busy day ahead.

Annette, I made a joke yesterday about how many pairs of rubber gloves you might get through! -- but of course, it's been no fun I'm sure. Hope all is more or less normal, soon.

We enjoyed our night out: we had turkey dinners with all the trimmings, and I had profiteroles for dessert. My OH enjoyed his Christmas Pud, plus some small mince pies. We talked, and danced a little. As is often the case, chatting was difficult as the music was too loud.

Off to get hosed down...

• Annette: I missed watching the SpaceX launch live, too. I didn't read about it until after it was over. Facebook let me down! I hope your lungs won't suffer from handling that ash. I saw on Facebook that the firefighters are making progress every day with getting the fire contained. 

Lindy: Glad you had a good time. I like profiteroles. My Dad loved them. Whenever I went into the grocery store, he would say "get me a filled roll at the bakery." LOL

• The Tree is assembled. Decorations tomorrow when cooler. 37 today, expecting 26 Sun & 29 for Ch-mas. Annette – We are to OH’s niece’s. I opted to take wine which I won’t touch as I am driving. I dislike having to take anything; I don’t expect it when I host a lunch.