A misty Minsmere morning!

The weather has done a bit of a weird turnaround here lately - we've swapped bitter cold, sunny conditions for much milder, mistier weather.  I didn't even need hat and gloves when I set out for a walk around the Scrape today - bonus!  My first sighting came before I'd even made it to the first hide:

Two lovely red deer were lurking near the woodland crossroads.

There were no birds close to the Wildlife Lookout and it was fun trying to get clear snaps of the birds which were further away but I did manage to get this little egret.

Our Konik ponies working hard.

The mallards snubbed me en masse, except for the female on the right who's giving me a look.

This grey heron was in the pool behind the hide.

I then walked down to the South Hide.  Most of the visible birds were some way from the hide, though this wader was more obliging:

A pretty redshank.  I love seeing these!

The black-headed gull watches as the common gull demonstrates the importance of thorough bathing to a lot of uninterested lapwings.

Not long after I left the South Hide a stunning raptor ghosted silently over me:

How lucky I am to regularly come to a reserve where these beautiful marsh harriers are a common, everyday sighting.

In complete contrast to the harrier this greylag goose loudly announces its approach!  I love geese.

After I walked past the sluice I decided to have a quick look out to sea.  I didn't expect to see much in the conditions but a few of the usual suspects were about:

A graceful black-headed gull.

One of two herring gulls on the concrete groyne.

A great black-backed gull flies by.

You can't go anywhere without seeing our cheeky National Bird.

When I reached the public viewpoint I saw a small bird on the fence in front of me.  I initially thought it might be a reed bunting:

It turned out to be a stonechat.

He obligingly showed me both sides!

Perhaps he'd turned around to watch this heron fly past.

These wigeons were looking relaxed.

I then headed to the East Hide.  The gorgeous colours of this duck just begged to be snapped:

Teals are so beautiful.

These dunlins are too busy foraging to worry about admiring the teal.

A lone avocet.  I'm not used to seeing these here in December.

A few of the lapwings present on the Scrape.  There were loads of these.

The avocet decides to head off for an impromptu swim.

This great black-backed gull supervises the mass preen.

On my way back to the Visitor Centre I was treated to another gull flyby:

I couldn't leave the iconic herring gull out, could I?

It's almost impossible to walk down the North Wall without seeing mute swans.

I can think of more edible things!

This was my last visit before Christmas - I'm looking forward to seeing what might be about next week.

Enjoy, as always!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.