Osprey Chat Thread for May 2017

Well it is 1st May and the osprey season is flying along.

The weather was remarkably clement up until recently  but then we saw EJ have to cope with record quantities of snow. Interestingly there was similar snow 36 years ago in late April so we may not see the likes again. 

This was remarkable in that a very high percentage of the adult ospreys returned. It was certainly a change from normal in that the sadness of big name birds not returning.

There was also the good news that Clarach (hatched Dyfi 2013 and ringed blue 2R) Even better she has gone up to Scotland and found herself a partner. People are excited to follow this development.

Blue UV is back in Britain and it will be interesting to see if he can nest this year.

There was the great news that Blue S6 a two year old hatched at Rutland was back on 25th April. This is a record early return.

Will she emulate 06 (01) in 2003 and bring up chicks?

Lots of eggs are being incubated and first hatching day is around Thursday 11 May.

As usual all the osprey news will appear in The Osprey News Bulletin

• Yes this one - that's where news about Urdaibai has often been posted. 

I don't believe there has ever been a thread dedicated to Urdaibai, Keith. 

• Sue C - Thank You. I have the 4 x Annual Reports and along with them and the Urdaibi Site and back tracking some of the information sites I will bring my data up to date.