Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 26 March 2017

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Welcome back, EJ! I hope Odin is on his way.

Great Egret in a cypress grove, Everglades National Park, Florida
U.S. National Park Service photo
Labelled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Heather B said:
    The food in hospital varies in quality and quantity. Yesterday's lunch was one slice of lamb, three brussel sprouts, three baby potatoes and cold gravy :-(

That's appalling.  No wonder she's desperate to escape.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• CLARE - OG sent EE home for a slice of cake, she was so hungry! Fortunately, they live just around the corner from the hospital.

• The swan cam is at The Bishop's Palace, Wells.  My sister thought it was 'on', but all I got was a black screen.  Apparently there is already one egg.  Last year they reared nine!  Hope it comes on soon - swans and osprey (and the odd peregrine!) take up all my summer, although I have a tremendous amount of other stuff to fit round them!

Poor OG - I'm sure EE will be taking in some decent food to aid her recovery.  Dreadful that there seems to be little attention to a decent diet in many hospitals.

• Morning all: Am reading but no time to respond. Spent yesterday sorting out daughter's laptop (she's guilty of what a former teacher of mine called "random clicking"); now we're off out until early p.m.  Wonder if there's a pizza parlor in Annan that delivers?

• Annette - I'm sure there is, but I was thinking more of 'proper' food ...

• I was just looking at the TV schedules for tonight, see that Andre Rieu is on. That made me wonder about LYNETTE and her concert. It must be great to see the orchestra for real! Andre was a great favourite in this house and we have some DVDs.

I decided to get into my pyjamas early tonight, just zipping up my dressing gown when the doorbell rang - the garden man! I have asked him to do. the first grass cut, the back garden grass is growing fast and I only have a Flymo. Petrol mower given away to youngest SiL. I couldn't use it.

• LOL Heather - that sort of thing usually happens to me!  I could be in my dirty gardening clothes and someone calls round who I never usually see in the area.

Good idea to have a "lawn man" who will see to that side of things for you. You can then do the bits of gardening that you enjoy. My mother had the front garden laid to paving and pebbles, so that when my OH popped in to mow her lawn, he only had the rear garden to do.  Our neighbour has had the opposite - she paved her small rear garden except for some attractive raised beds, and left a square at the front of green grass for the Lawn Man.

We're watching Andre Rieu as I type - it's the South African version, and very good. On our recent holiday, we watched a DVD of one of his Maastricht concerts, which was excellent, one of his best.

• Pat - I try to see some of the peregrine's nests as well, but usually don't have time to keep track of them properly. I also pop in to see what's going on at Pete's Pond!

Had a good natter to a couple of friends on the phone today, plus am going out to lunch with my Lunch/Shopping Friend tomorrow. It was nice to get out into the garden for a while and look at how things are growing. I must get a few emails written, I never seem to catch up with my List!

• Heather: your description of sitting on the sand at loch Morlich turns me green with envy. At the moment I would love to be there.

My saga goes on>>>and on! Friday I attempted to pay the Council Tax on my brother's house. I rang the Council to find they do not take money any-more?! They will only take payments over the internet or on their website. Otherwise it is the Post Office or Paypoint. Our local shop has a P.O. counter so off I went with bill and cheque in hand. Discovered they are not set up for cheques (acceptable) and Paypoint only accepts cash. They rang our local P.O to find they only take cheques upto £500. This was £1700. So we worked out that if I could pay from our current account it could all be done through a debit card. Off back home to transfer the money from our savings account then off back around the corner. All finally successful even if it was in two chunks as the maximum was £999! This morning in Monmouth went to Nationwide to pay a cheque from me (Executor) to me (ME). As it was the same lady who has helped me through all the previous stupid times we did have a good chuckle. I left to the tune (see you next time)!

I await the next hiccup with bated breath on the basis it can't be very long with current history!

• What a palaver, Forestboar. Red tape drives me bonkers.

I meant to say earlier, a drama here this afternoon. A gull got his wing caught somehow, in one of the joints of the guttering. Lots of mad flapping and eventually got free just when I was getting very worried.