Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 29 May 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is here.

I left a long reply on the end of last week's thread.

I've got a nasty deadline this week for my project, so you all won't hear from me for a few days. I hope everyone has a great week!

Eastern Bluebird
Labelled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Have looked at the forecast for the next few days and it is set to improve here. Mon looks good all day, so all being well, we will walk at Loch an Eileen. We have neither of us felt well for the last 10 days and OH has been signed off sick with "pyrexia" so just hope we are up for a good walk to blow away the cobwebs.

• DIBNLIB- Pyrexia of Unknown Origin? Takes me back 50 years, often used to see this written on medical notes when a patient had a high temperature and they didn't know why...I hope that whatever it is clears up soon.

YAS- I'm probably a bit dull, don't read saucy books :-( You seem to have a well developed sense of humour, maybe need it in order to cope with your health problems.

Middle daughter has phoned, she and the children are coming here this afternoon. The decision was only made, it seems to me, after I told her that I was making Cornish Pasties for meal tonight!

• We sat with the newspapers for half an hour after lunch, then got back to pruning:  its been a big job and Bonnie helped by hauling a piece of chopped off Lilac around the garden, about ten feet long!!

.......Just ran outside because as I was typing, I could suddenly hear the rain falling heavily....   Ran to get in the fabric garden chairs and cushions, and the rest will just have to get wet!  OH and I had just been sitting outside with a cold drink after our exertions, and saying that all the chopped off debris could wait until tomorrow, as we didn't think it would rain today!

We've cut off so much Lilac that there is a noticeable amount of extra light in the kitchen.  We did prune it two years ago, but it has grown back even more. Shame really, as there will not be any blooms on the tree next year as it appears on the old wood.

-----------

Dibnlib:  Sorry that you and your OH have not felt too good - I was strangely unwell last week, couldn't put my finger on it, and it cleared up, eventuallyl

• Looking at my photos again.  The instalment of the Malta pictures I put on before was only a first helping - there are a lot more to come!

Meanwhile, especially for Yas, here is my garden Robin - actually I don't know if its Robin #1 or Robin #2 as we have two pairs, and of course they look identical. When we're gardening they come really close, looking for grubs and worms, and are not afraid of me.

• Hi Heather well l say saucy book but it is set in the 18th centry or something like that but they can be what can l say to the point, " but done in the best possibly taste". and yes  good sense of humour does help with my problems, roger is so different to me and easy embrarrased in company, so when he is makes me want to tease him more and lighten him up, even thou he does have a good sense of houmour, he must do has he dressed up has one of the spice girls with two other teachers at school to entertain the children, has he was a primary school teacher. But he was a only child and l have 2 brothers and l sister and was 11 months the youngest so got teast at lot.

Hi Lindy Thanks for the lovely Robin, look forward to seeing more of your photos and others here, glad you had a good day in the garden, your dog sounds a joy, always wanted a dog here, but wouldn't be fair on roger to do more work. had a look round the garden to see any wildlife to take photos saw a young blackbird just posed her little heart out. see we have lots of baby stickle back fish, so heron, hopefully kingfisher will return when they are bigger, but don't really want them be eaten, just get photos.

Hope every one on the site has had a good day. take care from Yas

• Ps anyone know how to tell if my melon is ripe? and how do you get peoples name to show in bold print? yas

• YAS   for bold go into rich formatting, then see options. Click on the bold B and voila. Once you have typed what you want in bold, click it again to revert to normal typing.

A ripe melon should smell sweet at the plucked end.

• Hi YAS- I think that others on here will tell you how you get names in bold print. I am useless at techie things. As for melons, depends what variety. Some easier to tell when ripe than others!!

• Hallo all:  

Seaman:  We have ospreys in our area - down by the beach and also at Lake Cachuma. Don't see them that often..

Yas: That's awful that you can't get a good night's sleep. Can't make the days much fun.  Don't know those authors, but will check them out. Trouble is, I have four books piled up by the bed, which is the lowest it's been in weeks. Your OH sounds like a sweetie!   Is this a melon or a cantaloupe you're asking about?  With watermelons here, we tap them to see how hollow they sound (and also check the color). Cantaloupes smell sweet but also we check to see if the little circle at the end is indented (a good thing). I remember we used to rattle Cox's Orange Pippin apples to listen to the seeds.

Just in from morning out and about checking out weekend garage sales. Lots out there - and one lady even had a lovely old wooden porch rocker in a soft worn sort of green, but she wasn't selling it.  Granddaughter called last night (great-granddaughter was actually on the line) to tell us she'd been accepted into a lovely little primary school that has a veggie garden, music lessons, and other environmental-type classes in addition to the usual. They aren't in the school's local district - but near daughter's job - so they had to apply a couple of months back and it wasn't a sure thing. All happy and relieved now. 

• HEATHER   thank you, we are both feeling a good deal better now.

ANNETTE   glad to hear the schooling has been sorted out to your satisfaction.