Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 8 May 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is here.

Sorry folks, no cheery picture this week. Busy this evening with all sorts of minor crises. LOL

Everyone have a wonderful week!!!

• More of Malta:  Still in Valletta --

See the thickness of the wall I'm leaning on to take this!

Now looking back at where we've walked from.  Note the cars squished into this prime car park space, special permit only!

Looking across to the left of the above pic:  new development out onto the little spit of land, and someone serenely sailing by:

No idea what these buildings are used for, but some were offices of some kind, and some were Governmental buildings.

Looking across again:  I was fascinated by this ginormous yacht - it's HUGE!!

• ANNETTE- I think 800 kilometres, we left Amsterdam area sometime after 10am, stopped for a quick lunch near Bremen and arrived here maybe 8.30pmish. It wasn't a sightseeing tour as you can imagine! OH and I are having a quiet afternoon here at the house. Our friends are taking their son to catch a train to Copenhagen. He is off to see his girlfriend, a medical student who is spending six months in Tanzania, East Africa, as part of her studies. They have not seen each other for three months,so are really looking forward to a couple of weeks together!

• Lindybird, You obviously need one of those thick walls around your sis in laws property. Or a moat, but Bonnie would probably swim across that!

• Morning all:

Diane: My little "column" involves zero intellectual effort I'm afraid - just rewriting PR stuff so it doesn't sound PR. Topics are the more interesting/larger/newer events that lead off the calendar section of one of AAA's magazines.  The editors send me the options and I make the decisions for the most part. Really, it's something I can do with one eye on the television (but don't tell anyone that). Re the vehicles, I made the mistake of watching several experts discuss their evolution in some very comprehensive YouTube videos that left me with waaaay too much information. The current dilemma in that field, apparently, is that "street legal" racers continually evolve to the point they aren't street legal anymore and the overseeing bodies keep having to change the criteria. But don't ask me....

Lindybird: If that was the town of Valletta, which I now see it was, then the original fort (St. Elmo) was built around 1488 and apparently expanded in the mid-1500s It's famous for holding off Suleiman et al in the Great Siege of 1565 during the crusades. New pix are lovely; looks like a nice place. Re Bonnie, best to get everything in place at SiL's, but B does sound very inventive in terms of escaping.  Hurray for old friends who fix windows.  I always worry about horses that pull tourists. I was in Mexico once and told someone off coz his poor horse looked so sick. He wasn't impressed. :-(

Rosy: Re Bonnie, that particular moat might just work.

dibnlib: Will keep an eye out for the Highlands program - if it makes it over the Pond. Lots of things I can't watch on the BBC ("not available in your area"). Merrell are good - we have an outlet store about an hour down the road, but their stuff never fits me. I have friends who live in them...

Heather: Off to Google again for kilometer translation. So that's almost 500 miles - as far as I drive to AZ to see granddaughter and Ms. D. Is it that much cheaper to take the ferry and drive than fly? I guess so if you don't stop overnight anywhere...

May Gray still lurking here. Am so glad my sister and BiL had good weather here - they'd have died if they'd seen this!

Off to sort out the world....

• Unknown said:

Lindybird, You obviously need one of those thick walls around your sis in laws property. Or a moat, but Bonnie would probably swim across that!

LOL Rosy!!    I'll suggest it to my OH!!

• What an interesting journey, Heather. A long drive, though. (probably not for those in the US)  It seems to be a beautiful place you are staying in.

Dibnlib,  A great prize to win. Congratulations.

Annette, what is the publication you write for? Drag racing? Lost on me! Well done Dianne, fountain of wisdom!

• Annette, see you have answered question. I got interrupted some time ago and lost the plot.

• Rosy: Indeed, we can always count on Diane to delve into both the nuances and the hard-core facts pertaining to our general musings....  :-))  She's a born researcher methinks.

• Annette/Rosy: My Dad loved cars and racing. I watched him drag race when I was really small, back before it was so expensive. As I was growing up, I watched Shirley "Cha Cha" Muldowney race on TV. She was the first woman drag racer to drive a top-fuel dragster, at a time when women weren't welcome in auto sports -- or any sports. I respected her daring and fearlessness.

Unfortunately, I got my mom's driving genes, and I'm a terrible driver myself. LOL LOL

Heather: Have a great time!

Hi, everyone!

• Shirley Muldowney wins the U. S. Nationals in drag racing for the first time. Watch the race here. Video is 3 minutes long.