Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 1st May 2016

However did I manage to get in ahead of the lovely Annette and the excellent Diane to start this thread?  Goodness only knows.  Perhaps both ladies are all Trumped out!!

Have a good week, everyone - and special thoughts to Margo, her lovely hubby and Billie!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• By the way if anyone hasn't caught up with the lovely story of George the stork here's the link again.  He's on page 1 but there are some great stories on both pages of this thread.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare: Thank you! Brilliant of you to start the thread. I was tidying up the garden all day and have just slumped into my armchair after dinner. In case you missed it, Diane is off keeping  her eye on niece and nephew while their parents' take the weekend off.  

Rosy: I came to the U.S. for - ahem - 6 months multiple decades ago - to see my mother, who was friends with a family that emigrated to Canada during WWll and then settled in Long Beach, California. I spent those six months staring open mouthed at the blue sky (this was December), got a job, and the rest is history. My Mom stayed on too, but made frequent trips back to the UK. She'd had a hard life as a young Irish girl in London and had always dreamed of coming to the U.S. Not sure I'd leave my sister again (one of those 'if I knew then what I know now' things) but the U.S. has been very good to me and my brood - lots of opportunities, etc.  Will be talking to my sister tomorrow morning and am determined not to let too many months go by before I see her again - even if we have to meet on the east coast.

OG: Useless is the last word I'd apply to you - busy garden person that you are. Take it easy this week and enjoy your trip to Falkirk - the Kelpies are spectacular.

Lindybird: Hope your Welsh home base continues to enjoy the sun!

Margo: Best ever thoughts and hugs for you and your super OH!  

Off to sort out photos of trip for CD to send home.

• Well, I offered to start the thread if ANNETTE was busy, but good job that no one relied on me, as I've overslept!

Thrashed about a bit after retiring last night, so my OH let me sleep in today, but I was horrified to see it was five to 10!!

Good Morning, Everyone.....

• Good morning, Lindy.  It's good to sleep in once in a while - you must have needed it.

• Agree with CLARE, LINDY, You must have needed the sleep!

ANNETTE- my brother and I find that as we get older, time together is precious.

OG Happy that you enjoyed Fiddler. We last saw it as an amdram production, very good.

LYNETTE- Happy to know that your OH (or rather, his ear!) is progressing well!

Everyone- take care and thank you for chat-

• Good afternoon.  Cold, windy and some heavy showers today – but again not as bad as forecast.  Not doing much – went to church this morning, and have just been watching first part of Gordon Buchanan with Gorillas in DRC – recorded it around Christmas time, I think!

Clare – pleased your new job is going well; what is it that you are doing?  Thanks for starting our new week, and for the link to George the Stork’s remarkable story.

Linda – glad you got to Glaslyn, and that Bonnie later had her run on the beach (without rotten fish, this time, I hope!)  The right eye is responding well to treatment – haven’t been able to do the massage for several days, but today it was much less tender, so I could do that for the blepharitis in both as well as treat the iritis with the steroids and dilating drops.  You must have been really tired to sleep so late this morning – it’s that clean Welsh air that does it!

Bjane – good to see a post from you; I hope you are well – it must be about a year now since you retired from work, but I am sure you are finding plenty to do!

Chrisy – funny weather – we also had a better day yesterday, and then a return to the cold wind today; we haven’t had snow here in Annan, although it was nearby and J did find some when he visited Penrith last weekend!

Brenda – strange about Mrs G’s eggs – after laying 7 in total last year!

Rosy – sorry your neighbour is having multiple problems – she is lucky to have you available to help.

Heather – it is good that you and your Brother can enjoy such times together, even when he has frustrating problems which you can’t solve for him.

Margo – I hope you are now feeling a bit stronger after the transfusion and will have a good week.

Our current plans for this week cover all the essentials leading to a few days away – including ensuring the plants are all at the right stages to be left to J’s tender ministrations ( I am hoping to make it possible for him to only need to water the ones under cover on just one evening).

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• OG - Yes, I have been very busy as 2 weeks after I retired, my daughter who has had many medical issues throughout her life, was sent home from a nursing home where she had been recuperating from cellulitis of her feet.. Still too weak to live independently (our Health system is not anything like yours) I had her move in with me. She does not walk and is deaf and had lost so much strength that it has only been recently that her Dr has decided that she may be able to go back to her place if she undergoes a rigorous Therapy program to regain her strength. I also was asked by my former place of employment if I could do some contract work for them, so I have been doing that 6 hours a day. I have taken the summer off to see my daughter through the program as it requires much organization with therapists coming into the house daily and scheduling transportation to the Doctors, etc.

I have been following this thread but have little time to respond, but things are quiet this morning and I decided to explain why I have been so absent. I am so happy that Clare and Diane have found jobs and sad that Margo is having such a tough time. I was glad that Annette got to see her sister.

I love the doggie tales from everyone who has dogs. I have had to see two of my cats to the Rainbow Bridge this past year and have decided to not rescue any more at my age (81). I have two "senior" cats left and love them to death.

I am in awe of OG's gardening skills as I am struggling to find the time to get my garden and yard in order. I can manage the housework fine but hard to get outside if I am needed inside, but things always work out in the end.

Sorry I have not mentioned everyone who makes this thread so interesting but I do enjoy it a lot!

• Unknown said:
    Clare – pleased your new job is going well; what is it that you are doing?  Thanks for starting our new week, and for the link to George the Stork’s remarkable story.

I'm doing accounts at a pub, and I'll eventually do the payroll as well.  I'm so glad you enjoyed George's story!

• Thanks Clare for starting us off.

BJane - nice to hear from you again and see that you have been busy.

Margo - thoughts are with you and OH as you fight your illness.

OG - Was the GB film on sometime recently or is it that you recorded it around Christmas time. Would love the link. Have watched the GB Wild programmes where he has taken a celebrity and shown them wildlife around this country. Always love his programmes.

Special programme next Sunday re David Attenborough at 90. Should be interesting.

Out for lunch on Tuesday with the WO group I attend - should be a pleasant time then on to the hospital for OH's dressing change. We're getting there.

Take care all.

• Evening all: Spoke to my sister this morning (our time). She was coming in from a day in her garden as I was getting ready to head into mine. Gardens are great therapy.  

bjane: Really good to hear from you and do hope your daughter benefits from the therapy so she can return home.  Congratulations on being indispensable to your former employer - six hours a day is a lot! - but sounds like that'll be on hold while you tend to your daughter.  Do take care of yourself too and let us know how you're doing when you get the chance. In the meantime, it's nice to know you're lurking. :-)

Clare: Doing accounts at a pub?  Sounds different and sort of friendly.  I can only guess at the benefits.  :-))

Margo: I'm joining in everyone's wishes that you'll feel the benefit of the transfusion this week.  Hugs to you and your OH.

Monday routine back to normal - whales in the morning and yoga (creak!) in the afternoon.

Take care all.