Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 20 September 2015

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY AUTUMNAL EQUINOX!

The equinox is Wednesday, 23 September. Info HERE.

Last week's chat thread is HERE.

The nights are starting to turn cool in Indiana, and the leaves are just hinting at turning colors.

Everyone have a great week!

Sunflower
Labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• You are not monopolising the thread, Heather. I do wonder if people really are bothered about blocking neighbours' drives, if they think they can get away with it. Your neighbour probably thought she would be moving her car before you would need your's in the morning. It wouldn't enter her head that you may need it overnight. I bet if you blocked her drive, she would soon let you know, though. That certainly was a well timed letter from your MP.

• BRENDA - Many of our religious leaders have admitted to having doubts at some time or another, haven't they? it seems to make their faith stronger.

You are right - neighbour's daughter thought that because she would be away early this morning, it would be OK. She is a nurse, so when my OH mentioned the reason for asking her to move her car, she understood immediately. Only thoughtless, not trying to be difficult.
  • haven't been on the site for a while. returned from a lovely walk at Loch an Eilein and thought I would take the chance while OH is watching Japan v Scotland in the rugby world cup. He thought we would be gubbed, glad to say he was very wrong.

Our holiday started with the most amazing coincidence. While waiting to check in at Edn,we heard someone calling our name and they are regular church goers at the same church as us. They were at the airport to see off a visitor. She was a Romanian teacher who was taking only her 2nd flight and was very nervous. They were extremely pleased to see us there to help her.After Budapest she then had a very long bus journey ho me where she would arrive at 0500 am.

On the plane another coincidence. We sat next to a Scot (from Pitlochry) who was studying Veterinery Science in Budapest. One of our vets recently moved to Pitlochry and it turned out was mentoring her. You couldn't make it up!!!

We had a lovely time in Budapest, staying in a great location less than 5 mins from the river and the Chain Bridge. We took a hop on, hop off bus tour which worked well and took us to such destinations as Andrassy St and the Herend shop. This is sold in only 3 places in the UK. Harrods and House of Bruar are two. They are collected by Prince Carles and me!!!!, ok I only have one small elephant. We took the required trip on the Danube and also stopped off at the magnificent Heroes Square. We saw no disruption though we did notice that the bus detoured whenever it should have routed near Keleti Station. Another hilight was the palace. siuated high above the city and giving us some marvellous views.

chain bridge at night.

• the top pic is me outside the Herend shop. The lion is not for sale. Think he might cost as much as the crown jewels.. next a few pics of views from the Danube. This is the Parliament Bldgs.

• DIBNLIB- lovely to see you again (!) Thank you for tale of your trip which you obviously enjoyed! I will have to look up your collector item, maybe will have to keep Prince Charles company!

PS thought the name herend sounded familiar. Seemingly, Princess Diana collected the figurines also. I must have read that somewhere.
  • Hi all: Just finished up freelance project and heading for lunch, book, and then zero-gravity chair for nap. I see dibnlib is back in circulation - yay! Will catch up later today.

• Good to see you back, Dibnlib and also to read that you had such a successful and enjoyable holiday. I can't believe how many people you just ' bump into'. My DiL came home from Budapest with a Herend elephant too. From your photographs, it certainly looks like a place I would like to visit.

• Can't catch up completely, but wanted to say it is good to see DIBNLIB's posts - Budapest looks a lovely city.  AND good to see you looking so well in that photo outside the shop!  I shall be emailing soon as we shall be coming up your way.

J successfully collected the car - just a wee Kia Picanto, but tested with his largest guitar case when he chose it!  Now got to get used to driving it -  feels different from the Fiat Punto!

Another busy domestic day for me - ironing, freezing beans etc.  E-E has his next dentist visit tomorrow, and then museum in the afternoon, so I shall probably be baking!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Diblib – Welcome back. I enjoyed reading of your trip & your pics.

I hope Linda’s health & internet woes are soon sorted.

OG - I fancy some home baking. Expect to see me knocking on your door!

Margo – Good to see you popping in. Enjoy your time with your OH.

I escaped yesterday to Salisbury, only about 45 mins drive north, to visit church associated with one of my families.One of the stained glass windows, a plain one, is dedicated to “my” family. The old church is now used for weddings, having been replaced 40 years ago by a modern semi-circular one. Then I went to the local library’s history room. To my dismay I couldn’t find info I found previously (OK it was 30 years ago). No, they don’t cull. So where is the info? I was hoping to find more, not less!!! Then around to photo my great-grandfather’s house which has survived, though the outbuildings & extensive garden have not – covered by suburban houses.

• I'm still catching up!

Annette - you wrote last week - One of your "seen better days" photos shows a white wrought iron facade on a balcony that is reminiscent of New Orleans.  Interesting about the "owie" endings.  Makes a lot of sense.  I love the Tarcowie hotel - and the one in Jamestown, with Frankenstein and the WV bug parked on the second floor balcony!  How is the economy in those towns - I saw silos - but are the communities stable?

Cast iron lacework was a Victorian (era) feature and was popular on houses & pubic buildings, particularly verandahs. Kapunda? Many country town hotels still display their lacework. Much of the lacework was produced here at local foundries.

The country towns are slowly dying. Farmers may retire to the town but when the bank, shop, hospital, etc close, they have go to the bigger towns for their needs. Farms are getting bigger – the machinery is enormous, computer driven, very expensive – so the little people cannot survive. Perhaps these towns are busy weekdays but Sundays, when we have our bus trips, hardly anyone to be seen. Most towns have their silos for crops, but that is a seasonal thing.