Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 September 2015

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is HERE.

If you missed the end of last week's Chat thread, click on the link above and go back to see OG's spectacular photos of the Sparrowhawk that visited her garden! The pics are really good. See pages 8-9! 

Also, Brenda posted a lovely kestrel on page 7.  

Autumn is right around the corner, but it's still very hot on my patch; 95 F (35 C) tomorrow. I'll try to send some heat to Brenda, who had to put the central heating on in her home yesterday. :-)

Happy Labor Day on Monday to Annette, June Spradlin, and anyone else in the U.S. Labor Day was very important in my family, and I always miss my Dad on that holiday.

Everyone have a good week.

• Thank you WendyB. Over 50k signed now.

• Heather: Here's a link to the Medtronic's User Guide. This is a very helpful guide that will explain everything about Amy's insulin pump and how to use it. The chapters include an Introduction to Pump Therapy and The Basics of Pump Therapy.

To read your User Guide, go to this LINK.

(1) Click on "User Guides (Hardware)".

(2) Click on "Insulin Pumps".

(3) Click on Amy's model of insulin pump.

I'm not exactly sure which model is hers. My guess would be the Minimed Paradigm 522/722, but the newer Paradigm Revel is also a Minimed. That's why I'm showing you this short list. Each guide has a photo of the pump.

Hope this helps.

• DIANE- many many thanks. I do think that somewhere on the pump, there will be a model number. The next time I see her, I will check it myself. The photos will help me to identify the pump, also. A while back, ANNETTE sent me links to an article regarding what could be called an artificial pancreas. Research/development at University of California. Maybe Amy will benefit from that, one day.

• Brilliant, Diane!   A big Gold Star is up on your chart from me!

• Everyone: Please forgive me for the multiple posts this evening. I thought about sending this info to Heather by Private Message, but I wasn't sure whether the links would work. I really wanted to help her.

Heather: Last two links for you.

Medtronics Diabetes in the U.K. 
    Click on Customer Support at the top of the page. It will produce a list of services.
    Go to the bottom of the list and click on "Education". It will give you a list of helpful resources and information about using Amy's pump. You can also register for a 24/7 Helpline in the U.K. HERE.

Medtronics Diabetes in the U.S.
    Click on "Workbooks & Quick References" on the page at this link.
    Click on "Insulin Pumps". It provides several Learning Guides and Quick References. This is part of their "Download Library" on the menu at the left.

I think there will be many advances in diabetes treatment in the years to come. I hope so for Amy and also for my brother, who has diabetes and chronic pancreatitis.

• Read about that in the local paper Diane.

Yes, its quite an achievement for the Queen. Loyal service yet impartial, knowledgeable knows when to be discreet.

Went to the gym as usual today and only managed 8 lengths in between going in the jacuzi as the pool was absolutely freezing. Apparently something had gone wrong yesterday and temp. has not come up yet in the pool.  Hope its better next week.

• Diane, Thank you so much for all the links for Heather. I looked up and read some on line literature last night and have been reading your earlier links this evening. I really didn't know enough about diabetes and have learnt a lot.

Heather, I can understand why you worry about the pump, but it does seem to help to read these links and I am sure your daughter will also take you through all the instructions.  {{{ HUGS }}}  

• HeatherB, so pleased to hear that meeting went well with S's nephew and that bridges were mended, I hope you feel it was all worth it.

As for this trigger thumb I have - had an injection on Monday and it has eased somewhat. The doc. said it would take about 2 weeks before it feels a lot better but its already on its way so hopefully by the time a fortnight is up it will have healed. Yes, you don't realise how much you use your thumbs. Fortunately it is on my right hand and I am left handed.

Annette - sounds like you are going through "hell" with the heat and having the house done up as well. Hope it is soon done. Glad you've got your a/c unit to help out.

Lindybird - its always sad to see smaller farms go under for the sake of the larger ones. Harvest time is always a lovely time of year I think.  Got our HF services in just over a weeks time but have been asked to donate for our local Food Bank.

HeatherB - heard about Morrisons, do hope our local one doesn't shut - we have two - one in town and one just outside which was taken over.  Do most of my shopping online at present with them but do like going into store from time to time.

• Lindy - sounds like Bonnie is still proving to be a very lively and at times destructive dog - maybe the harness will help her to calm down!!! Still I know you both love her to bits despite her ways and hopefully as she grows older she will calm down.

Managed to get the washing out today as its been quite sunny, mind you the weekend looks as though its going to be damp.