Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 September 2015

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is HERE.

If you missed the end of last week's Chat thread, click on the link above and go back to see OG's spectacular photos of the Sparrowhawk that visited her garden! The pics are really good. See pages 8-9! 

Also, Brenda posted a lovely kestrel on page 7.  

Autumn is right around the corner, but it's still very hot on my patch; 95 F (35 C) tomorrow. I'll try to send some heat to Brenda, who had to put the central heating on in her home yesterday. :-)

Happy Labor Day on Monday to Annette, June Spradlin, and anyone else in the U.S. Labor Day was very important in my family, and I always miss my Dad on that holiday.

Everyone have a good week.

• Enjoyed ourselves, talking about this & that as the dogs ran amok.  My Friend is not invited to the Wedding, which has been slightly embarrassing, as they came to our Youngests, but there is a limited amount of room in the hotel for the guests for this one, so we have had to be ruthless in compiling a guest list. Also, very few children will be there: our grandchildren will be, of course, plus the Bride's sister's offspring.  Friend is off to another wedding this weekend, which sounds fun as the guests have all been asked to wear Thirties style outfits!

Was disappointed when the postman came today as he brought a harness I had ordered for Bonnie which promises "easy walkies!" but it was just too tight - it might have fitted a couple of months ago but she is 11kg now already.  As it was described as "Medium" I shall just have to get onto the site and order the Large size.  We are convinced that however much she may just eventually calm down, she will always be an overexcited Spaniel when it comes to going out on the lead.  This will be the third solution we've tried.

Heather:  Glad you're getting that eyebrow looked at - it might need attention.   No-one seems to rush to write their Thank You's these days:  we got one a full four months later, last year!!  I had given up on receiving anything!

Brenda: I'm pea green that you are so organised on the housework:  my house is even dirtier than usual, we seem to have been dashing hither & thither lately and the dust is unbelievable.  I threw bleach around in the bathrooms before I went out this morning, and this afternoon must do some dusting and tidying, plus the ever present ironing.  Even though I ironed a whole lot of things yesterday - grr!

• Sorry I haven't replied to say thank you for enquiring about my MRI scan I was in the machine for about an hour and now I have to wait to see the consultant. I am having problems with my computer so I am doing this on my tablet and I would rather have a keyboard to type on so I will make this brief and will reply more fully soon.

george g

• Good to hear from you, George - however you managed it.  Hope you get to see the consultant soon and don't have to wait for too long to hear what he says about it.

• Morning all: Off to keep daughter company for a few hours - she's having to keep her foot elevated for a few days. Would have her at our house, but painting disruption would be just one more aggravation on top of achy foot.

George: Good to hear from you.

Will catch up with everyone else later. Margo, special thoughts for you and hugs too.

• ANNETTE - don't know much about bunion surgery but it sounds painful.

GEORGE - That was kind of you to reply without a proper keyboard! I know what you mean about tablet keyboards. I have to use a thingymagig. Oh, I remember - a stylus!

And yes, ANNETTE, MARGO is never far from the thoughts of most of us, I am sure. I hope that she reads all the stuff (?rubbish lol) that we post, as a distraction from her worrying thoughts xx

• Tim Bonner of the Countryside Alliance wants the BBC to sack Chris Packham for telling it as it is. Sign the petition to stop this happening here

• HEATHER is right about me prepping veg for the freezer; we have also been using the good weather for tidying, weeding, pruning etc in the garden.  This is in addition to daytime appointments, and also evening meetings which have started again in the various groups as the group outing season comes to an end = Gardening Group and Bird Cub both met this week.  So I have become a lurker again.

On Sunday we are driving up to Ayrshire for a couple of nights, so today I did ironing ready to pack.  I opted to have my mammogram at the screening centre there, rather than struggle with the mobile unit: it has what they call a lift, but it is actually a kind of shaky scissor mechanism which I find really nerve-shattering.  So we shall stay overnight for that on Monday, then go to RSPB Lochwinnoch on Tuesday before travelling home Wednesday.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Should have said best wishes to ALL, and special thoughts for MARGO.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Hi, Heather.

I'm putting together a list of links to resources for you. However, I thought I'd go ahead and send you this link. It's Medtronic's introductory workbook, THE BASICS OF INSULIN PUMP THERAPY. (I also have a link that will explain the exact features and use of your pump. I'll send that this evening.)

This workbook has three chapters:

(1) Balancing Glucose and Insulin

As a nurse, you probably already know the medical science in this first chapter, but it may be helpful to read in case your memory is crap, like my mine is.

(2) Managing Pump Therapy

This chapter is the basics describing what the pump will do and what the patient must do.

(3) Calculating Boluses

The insulin pump has a "wizard", that's a little program that calculates how much insulin a person needs. It does the math for you and delivers the insulin. But you will need to understand a bit about the body's needs in order to use the machine. That's in Chapter 3 of this workbook.

More later.

• DIANE- I'm all emotional (!) and very grateful. Going to check the link.