Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 September 2015

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is HERE.

If you missed the end of last week's Chat thread, click on the link above and go back to see OG's spectacular photos of the Sparrowhawk that visited her garden! The pics are really good. See pages 8-9! 

Also, Brenda posted a lovely kestrel on page 7.  

Autumn is right around the corner, but it's still very hot on my patch; 95 F (35 C) tomorrow. I'll try to send some heat to Brenda, who had to put the central heating on in her home yesterday. :-)

Happy Labor Day on Monday to Annette, June Spradlin, and anyone else in the U.S. Labor Day was very important in my family, and I always miss my Dad on that holiday.

Everyone have a good week.

• Heather:

"Bluetooth" just means wireless. The little machine and the pump can talk to each other without a wire between them. The machine sends the glucose level info to the pump using a radio wave, instead of through a wire.

You'll probably only need to push a button or two to send (upload) the info to the diabetes team.

I suspect everything will be much clearer once you can see it. You'll be fine.

I understand your fears, though. I had to learn a lot of procedures and machines when I was caregiving for my parents.

• Also, Heather, do you know the brand name and model number of the insulin pump/device that Amy uses?

If you do, you can find simple, detailed instructions online. 

If you want, I may be able to find the online instructions for you if you have the make/model info.

• Heather, Thanks for your reply, re Sheana's nephew. I really didn't think he had not visited her for such a long time. I should imagine the meal with him could have been quite awkward this evening. There is no excuse for not visiting her more frequently. I guess he will turn up rather promptly for the meeting  with her solicitor, when the time arrives. Obviously, he will have noticed a marked difference in her behaviour and health now. It really must be painful for you to see Sheana as she is now, to the friend you have known for so long. XX

• Space whisky. Yup. Whisky from space.

In October of 2011, Ardbeg Distillery, on Islay (Scotland), sent a vial of unmatured malt whisky to the International Space Station to study the effect of near-zero gravity on flavour. Another vial of the same whisky was kept in the earth distillery for comparison.

The space whisky is now back, and the differences in taste and aroma were dramatic and "groundbreaking"! Read about it HERE.

• Whoo Hoo, Diane!!   When can I taste it?!   Thanks for the link, I'm about to tell my OH who is a whisky drinker.  By the way, did you know that Islay is also very famous for its cheese?

Heather:   I would not be surprised if Sheana's nephew pretended that he had been a model relative, all along:  he probably thinks he is, in his mind. He certainly has a thick skin if he thinks he can expect to be sociable & act as if he's been in close agreement/contact with you all the while.

Must drag myself off to bed:  where does the day go?

EDIT:  I see, reading back, that I forgot to mention Lynettes poorly thumb -  I was thinking about your problem, and really imagined that I had mentioned it!!  Hope the injection works, and all is well - it really is a nuisance, I'm sure.

• Just back from meal with Sheana's nephew. I will post in the morning, just all talked out at the moment. Thank you DIANE, I will find out the make of the pump. You are more than generous with your techie advice to folk like me :-)

• A long day. Will catch up tomorrow.  Take care all.

• Good Morning Everybody. Watching this morning's news. They are showing a Christmas retail fair. I have noticed that the supermarkets and garden centres are already selling Christmas chocolates / biscuits !

Congratulations to HM The Queen for being our longest reigning monarch.

Diane, Thanks for the whisky link. My OH pointed out the news to me in the newspaper. He loves a good malt. I don't like it :-))

Annette, Slow down. Your timetable sounds hectic.

Heather, I hope you have recovered from last night's meeting. X

• CONGRATULATIONS TO HER MAJESTY, QUEEN ELIZABETH II, on reaching such a huge milestone. She has indeed done us proud, and is an anchor in an ever changing world.  Long may she live to reign over us.

• Good Morning, All.  A bit dull here, but a lovely view from our window of the wheat fields all cut and neat bales at intervals all over the landscape.  The farmer must be relieved to get all his crop safely in, in the dry.   Last night he was on the last part of baling, when we saw black smoke coming from the baling machine:  he had to send for reinforcements and an hour later, another machine appeared, to finish the job.

Heather:  I expect you're tired today after last nights meal and the conversation which ensued.  I am sorry for Sheana, its so sad to see someone who was bright and intelligent lose their faculties  I once knew a highly eminent and respected Doctor who lived alone and had to go into care in her 90's - she deteriorated rapidly and when I visited, I was upset at first, to hear the staff calling her by her Christian name, something I would never ever have done.  However, it was explained to me that they find this reassuring and comforting. I still addressed her as "Doctor", though!

Brenda:  I have already bought some Christmas cards and a new Owl calendar from the RSPB Site!  Also some pretty bird shaped golden gift tags, which I'm very pleased with.  I needed the calendar as we end up scribbling so many things on the end of 'December' on the old one, its easier to be organised and have one ready in October!  Have not made any cards myself yet, though, as time seems to be slipping through my fingers, unlike OG who although busy, always finds the time from somewhere!!