Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 September 2015

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is HERE.

If you missed the end of last week's Chat thread, click on the link above and go back to see OG's spectacular photos of the Sparrowhawk that visited her garden! The pics are really good. See pages 8-9! 

Also, Brenda posted a lovely kestrel on page 7.  

Autumn is right around the corner, but it's still very hot on my patch; 95 F (35 C) tomorrow. I'll try to send some heat to Brenda, who had to put the central heating on in her home yesterday. :-)

Happy Labor Day on Monday to Annette, June Spradlin, and anyone else in the U.S. Labor Day was very important in my family, and I always miss my Dad on that holiday.

Everyone have a good week.

• Brenda: I'm so very glad that your sister's initial diagnosis was a mistake and that she'll be okay. That's a terrible error to have happened, but I'm so happy about the outcome. You must be so relieved.

Congrats on the bowls win! Woo Hoo.

• Evening all:  Lots of discussions of broad beans, runner beans and other veg. Oooh - and blackberry crumble.

Diane: Merci. Danke, Gracias - and thank you for the new thread. No Labor Day memories for me.  Hope you celebrate it in a way that will honor you Dad's memory.  :-)

Heather: Grocery shopping was a welcome alternative to staying in a house closed windows and a noisy generator/thingy rumbling around the garden. Tomorrow it's Costco and the Farmers Market (right across the parking lot) first thing.  Exciting eh, what?

Just in from impromptu and casual dinner at old friends' house a few minutes away - so nice after such a busy week.  Painters pressure washed the house today; not sure if they're working Monday (Labor Day), but that's fine if they don't.  Could do with a quiet couple of days.

Have a good Sunday everyone.

• Quiet Sunday. Both Daus phoned for Fathers Day. I'm swapping nanny days this week to help g-d with Uni timetable and to have a rest day before weekend bus trip, so it's Mon & Wed for me nannying. S-i-l is recovering from flu, Dau hasn't caught it, but I still have fingers & toes crossed! I'm making soup, pea & veg & ham, thick enough for knife & fork LOL.

• {{{HUGS}}} to Margo. I send healing thoughts to you every night (our time).

• Good morning, all, from the UK!  A very happy Labor (Labour!) Day to those in the US.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I must say that having checked out Labor Day online it looks a great idea for a celebration.  I don't envy those in retail, though, as it appears they're stuffed with longer hours while everyone else is having a holiday.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Good Morning Everyone. A very cool sunny morning. Lovely to see the sun, at last.
    Max temperature forecast to be 17c today.
    OH playing an away bowls match this afternoon, so I will probably work in the garden.

Diane, Thank you for starting the week for us. Hoping that a permanent job will appear very soon for you. 

AQ, I like the thought of your soup. Sounds as if you will definitely need a rest day, before your trip, after your two day nanny duty. Happy Father's day to your OH.

Clare, I also noticed that only 3% of the retail labour are now members of a union.  I feel sorry for those in retail in this country, who work on Sundays. We seemed to manage without Sunday opening for most of our lifetime.  

• Unknown said:
    Clare, I also noticed that only 3% of the retail labour are now members of a union.  I feel sorry for those in retail in this country, who work on Sundays. We seemed to manage without Sunday opening for most of our lifetime.  

It's got ridiculous here.  Not just Sundays, we now have 24-hour opening in many supermarkets and we even get them opening on Boxing Day here.  I'd consider doing a few hours in a supermarket if only they didn't demand evenings and weekends.

• Hey - and what about early closing Wednesdays?  I think we've lost the plot in terms of life/work balance; of course, it's all about employers wanting to wring every last cent of profit out of every minute...

...and, now I think of it, people like me, who's just about to tootle off to Costco - on a Sunday, yet!  So much for all my soapbox speeches about worker's rights.  (Something wrong with the grammar there.....)

• Hello All, We're back again!   

Enjoyed our time with the family.  Not bad journeys there & back:  came off the motorway early on the way home as traffic turned into a crawl and we were only a few miles away - turned out there had been an accident, so good job we left the road and took the back roads.  Bonnie is very tired after her time at the kennels, part stress and partly from having run around with the other dogs there, I suspect.  We were also handed a very stiff bill for her one night there, as it counted as two days!  Ho hum.

Amber is very  v e r y  nearly walking now, taking shuddering steps whilst holding onto the furniture.  The house was festooned with lots of banners & pink balloons celebrating her recent first birthday.   When we next see them all it will be the weekend of the Wedding, a fortnight hence.

Thanks to Diane for starting us off again, and I'm on my way over to Aus to taste that wonderful "knife & fork" pea & ham soup of AQ's!!