Daily Update ~ Loch Garten Nest ~ Monday, 18 May 2015

I understand that it was a quiet day on the nest on Sunday. Odin continued to pester EJ for sex while she continued to sit on the single egg which almost certainly will not hatch. 

There only five more egg laying days in the 2015 season. It looks as if there are not going to be any chicks at Loch Garten in 2015.

• CRinger said:

CRinger I wonder if I could indulge in another question. Why might EJ have tried to expel the egg from the nest over the weekend and then decide to incubate it again. Sorry questions questions questions :)

I have not the foggiest idea! But my mother used (and still does)  tell me time and time again that it is a lady's prerogative to change her mind. Having said that I have lost track of Odin's comings and goings. Had Odin disappeared for some days when she tried to expel? If so then she might abandon on the basis that she could not incubate by herself. Had he then come back to the nest when she started to incubate again? If this is the case then that might be the answer?

[/quote]I've had another look at Scylla's video of this incident and I don't think she was actually trying to expel the egg. It looks as if she raised her rear end a couple of times to get comfy. Her legs were pretty static and her claws curled in.

• Night cam on at 22.07.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

•  Good Night Folks.  Another day of many questions.

• I would just like to thank everyone today for all the contributions, whether they be questions, answers, theories or thoughts. I feel we are all worried, perplexed and as stressed as EJ ans Odin are, But I sincerely hope that they both get throught it all together. Night all.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• So sad to see EJ like this and just a few views of Odin. My thanks too to the posters sharing this strange year at LG.

To cheer myself up, I've just looked at the Manton Bay nest at Rutland - again unusual behaviour but positive as 33 and Maya are snuggled up together on the nest!

• Poor EJ, lonely and hungry and sitting on her sad little egg...

Just a little poem -

"Some may call me a fish-wife, fish-wife

My constant calling is for fish

I'm not a wife, I need a fish

I have no babies but have a life

I'm but a single lost parent now

Lonely nesting, but steadfast

My love has passed, passed

Too late for babies now, I vow

To all who see me, how distressed

I will always seal my fate

Whoever I may make my mate

Will ever be the best, the best"

With best wishes to dear Odin, may his next season be a better one!

• Just home from work to find this gem, abellemed! Wonderful rhythm and expressiveness. Now to go back and find out what's happened today...

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• "Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here