Daily Update ~ Loch Garten Nest ~ Monday, 18 May 2015

I understand that it was a quiet day on the nest on Sunday. Odin continued to pester EJ for sex while she continued to sit on the single egg which almost certainly will not hatch. 

There only five more egg laying days in the 2015 season. It looks as if there are not going to be any chicks at Loch Garten in 2015.

• scylla said:

we collected quite an Indian head set of EJ feathers from under the nest when we did the count.

I hope you managed to keep some, CRINGER :-)

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your thoughts on this unhappy situation.  EJ has just paused her calling and I can now mute the volume without seeming to be callous, it's nap time here.  I fervently hope that EJ will have eaten when I come back.

[/quote]

We gave them all away as prizes for the best behaved pupil in the classes that visited the centre. The look of pride on the winners' faces was well worth the loss of the feather.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• EJ got up. I thought that maybe a fish was incoming. No :(

• EJ's gone quiet for the moment but she keeps looking over her right shoulder. She's started gently calling again.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• CRinger said:
    We gave them all away as prizes for the best behaved pupil in the classes that visited the centre. The look of pride on the winners' faces was well worth the loss of the feather.

I am sure they treasured those feathers CRinger. I certainly would! :)

• Is it just me, or does anyone else think EJ sounds a bit hoarse?

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• CRinger I wonder if I could indulge in another question. Why might EJ have tried to expel the egg from the nest over the weekend and then decide to incubate it again. Sorry questions questions questions :)

• LMAC - This may be the expalnation. Sorry Not Mine - I asked vennessa Greene the same question and she studies osprey behaviour in USA.

Well the behaviors this year are a challenge to understand aren't they? Who knows if she understands that the egg is not viable. I don't think they understand time the way we do. I think it is pure instinct that says, sit on that egg. I also think we are beginning to understand  that stressful events affect their hormones and that in turn affects their behavior...which may be why she didn't incubate for those days. As things calmed down and returned to normal, so did her instinctive urge to sit on the egg. What did the male do when he returned? I have seen that they give up slowly on eggs that are dead...taking longer and longer breaks from incubating until they give up and often bury the egg in the nest. We are all still learning.

• Unknown said:

CRinger I wonder if I could indulge in another question. Why might EJ have tried to expel the egg from the nest over the weekend and then decide to incubate it again. Sorry questions questions questions :)

I have not the foggiest idea! But my mother used (and still does)  tell me time and time again that it is a lady's prerogative to change her mind. Having said that I have lost track of Odin's comings and goings. Had Odin disappeared for some days when she tried to expel? If so then she might abandon on the basis that she could not incubate by herself. Had he then come back to the nest when she started to incubate again? If this is the case then that might be the answer?

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Thank you Keith and with that I think I will go walk my puppy as I don't belive EJ will get a fish tonight or tomorrow morning for that matter. I don't belive Odin is injured and unable to fish, he is looking to mate/bond and I honestly believe that  the egg is the preverbial elephant in the room for this two.