WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY, APRIL 12, 2015

Happy New Week

• George, Just looked up your Links Market, as I hadn't heard of it before. It was first started in 1304 and is visited by 200,000 to 300,000 people over the six days, each year. Sounds like it could be worth a visit.

• Linda, No idea what fish your lady is holding. There are two different heads and bodies. Quite a spectacular figure, though. I guess you didn't pay the two euros to photograph the cairn. He probably deserved it. Lovely photographs. Loved the Couch ditty. I thought Neptune may appear on his throne ( couch ).

• just a quick visit as tired after an overnight visit to Mums. We got back about an hour ago. It didn't come as a shock as I have suspected for some time that Mum was getting more confused. Her main carer posed the question and sure enough she admitted she didn't know my name. I didn't like to go as far as asking if she knew I was her daughter, that might have hurt too much if the answer was in the negative. It is not unexpected as we only see her maybe 4 times a year. She certainly knows my brother who she sees on a daily basis. A nurse friend says they call this the illness of the family and how right she is.

A fire broke out in Inverness Academy St on Wed evening. It was still raging when I went to work on Thursday morning and the firefighters were there all day. We kept our doors shut most of the time, but of course the smoke still seeped through. I got a text from the boss yesterday saying the shop was closed at the mo for assessment. but to go in as planned on Monday and we will take it from there. Think we may lose a lot of stock due to the smell of the smoke.  I will just have to see what Monday brings. A fair bit of the street is cordoned off due to the precarious state of the buildings where the fire started. As it started at 2230 at least no people were hurt.  Supper calls, will read back tomorrow.

•  Brenda:   I thought it might be a plaice, LOL!!  She does seem to be examining dinner....   She is twice life size, and farther up the street is the little rowing boat which children sometimes climb into, to pretend. Set into the pavement far from water, but perhaps to celebrate the local traditions.  This is all in Corralejo, which is a main port in the north of the island. Nearby are several very good restaurants, famous for their local and very fresh fish dishes!

EDIT:   If you look behind the boat in the picture, you will see a construction going up in the background, which is a stage being readied for a Fiesta which was scheduled for a couple of days hence.  They usually end up crowning a Queen or some such on the stage, with a lot of loud music and dancing.  They love their street Fiestas and parades, but we know someone who turned up expecting to see one go by at the appointed time (8.00pm) but after waiting for two hours, without sign of it starting, they went to a local hostelry instead!

Never thought of Neptune, darn it!!  Written in a hurry, as usual.  My OH was outside soaking up the sun and wondering where I had got to.......

• dibnlib:   At least, as you say, no-one was hurt.  It could have been worse.  Maybe they will have to sell off the damaged stock & you can grab a bargain, you never know!

Sorry to hear about your Mum, its a dreadful disease.  I expect she knew you but names are something which go first.

• DIBNLIB,I went to TKMaxx and the smell of smoke was strong. Its a shame that such an iconic building may now have to be demolished. The original Inverness Royal Academy.

It is always distressing when our demented parents fail to recognise us and I can understand how you must feel. My Mum saw more of my brother because I lived 600 miles away and could not visit as often as he could. Come the end,sadly,she couldn't name either of us. She did know that we were somehow connected but that was as far as it went.

Speaking of which, we got a phone call from Sheana at about 4.30 this afternoon. She asked me to come at once and couldn't say why but she was weeping. When we got there, she said that she was sure that she was going to be killed tonight.Poor,poor old soul. Dementia is a terrible illness.

• So sorry, Dibnlib. It must be so painful for you. I know that my OH's father would know who he was on some days, but on other days wouldn't recognise him.

Heather, Poor Sheana seems to be so frightened and feels threatened in her illness. I notice that she hasn't forgotten to always ring you though. It cannot be pleasant, or always convenient, for you to go running to solve her problems. These are real situations to her, poor woman.  

• BRENDA- I think that Sheana is at a kind of in between stage. She has my phone number on a label beside her phone and is still able to realise that and make the call but I guess that as time goes on she won't make the connection. She has almost lost the knack of using the remote control for her tv:-(