Satellite Tracked Ospreys (non-LG) Oct 2014 -

This topic replaces Satellite Tracked Ospreys (non-LG) Aug 2012-Sep 2014

The scope - following the travels of tracked ospreys "not from Loch Garten", either originating in the UK or overseas.  

Can I ask for some help in starting off the thread. If you are the first person to post about a bird in the restarted thread, can you please give the name of the project which is tracking it, and supply a link to the project website.

Many thanks - Sue  

• I think this is where our UK Ospreys are at present time or last reported on. If there are any further updates or errors on here I apologise but let me know.

MILLICENT-BLUE AN0

LOCH GATRTEN

Remains North of Richard Toll Mauritania/Senegal Border.

BREAGHA

LOCH GARTEN 2013

Remains settled in the wetlands/estuary of Casamache River in   Senegal.

BLUE UV

KIELDER NEST 1

Still present on west coastal area of Portugal.

BLUE VV

KIELDER NEST 1

No news since 11 Sept last heard crossing the Morrocan Atlas mountain   range heading SW approx. 85 km east of Marrakech. May have been weakened in   some way (Food or Conditions) and may not have made this crossing.

BLUE 7H

KIELDER NEST 2

Still present in Morocco not   showing much movement or intention of moving on at present.

BLUE 8A

LAKE DISTRICT

Leaving Guinea Bissau moved NE Inland tyo Mali-Mauritania border   towards the head of the Niger River – Not heard of since.

WHITE 14

LAKE DISTRICT 2013

On the South coast of Bioko Island after a short spell on the west   coast near Luba. He is in the exact area where I saw him in March 2014.

LONAIG

ABERFOYLE

Last report – At Stop Over – Wetland area Mid Portugal

BLUE FK8

TWEED VALLEY

14 September – made it to the Algarve in SW Portugal – No news since   so assuming maybe still settled here.

30(05)

RUTLAND

ADULT

At Winter Home – Coastal area of Senegal. Very little movements.

BEATRICE

HFW

At Winter Home – After some time on the reservoir De La Concepcion   she moved to her usual haunts of the R Guadiaro. Still restless and has been   back and forward between both areas the last weeks.

GREEN J

HFW

Does not wander very far from the Embalse Gabriel Y Galan in   Extremadura region a favourite reservoir of hers for years thus being known   as Gabriel the Osprey locally.

ROTHIEMURCHUS

HFW

At Winter Home on the backwater of the River Gambia.

Has been flying 8 km east to Koutango and back on days of 20th to 22nd   October

BLUE XD

HFW

Southern Senegal at his Winter Home where he spent last season.

• Thanks for the summary on the UK birds, Keith.

Regarding the Urdaibai tracking - the report dated 26/9 on Humboldt was only posted a few days ago, so I would think he is still in that same area; the rio Geba in Guinea Bissau .

He is the only one still in contact.   

• Hazel b said:

Tero's map very fascinating. Who says that we know where ospreys go?

See    Tero's map

Great news. Tero's is back on the radar and nearing safety. What an incredible flight. Also fully justifies the effort that is put into tracking. 

• Thank you for that summary table Keith. Very useful.

Are the descendants of 11 (98) going to fly on or winter where they are? 

• Hazel b said:

Are the descendants of 11 (98) going to fly on or winter where they are? 

Now that is a very interesting question - I have already discussed this with Joanna on her latest posting with a very interesting reply from Joanna - I just wonder if 11(98) or his partner only go to Mainland Europe or Northern Africa.

PONDS, PYLONS and Other Places.

See Posts at end of Blog. Maybe I will pose a question on Osprey Chat to discuss this further.

• Tiger, Thanks for the reports.  When will Tero last have had a chance to go fishing?

Keith and Tiger,  Thanks Keith for the 'Ponds...' link and it is a very interesting discussion about where Ospreys spend the winter and possible advantages of wintering farther north than others.  Now will check the chat thread to see if the discussion continues!

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:

Tiger, Thanks for the reports.  When will Tero last have had a chance to go fishing?

Keith and Tiger,  Thanks Keith for the 'Ponds...' link and it is a very interesting discussion about where Ospreys spend the winter and possible advantages of wintering farther north than others.  Now will check the chat thread to see if the discussion continues!

If you look at the interactive map it seems fairly clear that Tero had a stopover which ended on 24 October. So it is about 9 days since he definitely had a snack. 

• I saw the discussion on Tero yesterday but couldnt see the map - he certainly is making it very difficult for himself.     Could he be heading to Africa?