Another good day

My son and I visited the reserve again on Sunday morning.  I was concerned that, arriving at 9.30, we might be a little late for the GOLDEN ORIOLES, but two early birders we met in the car park had been there since 5 a.m. and it was only at 8.30 that they were first heard.  We probably reached the West Wood and heard the first calling at around 10 a.m.

I say 'golden orioleS' because there were definitely at least two males, as there was some simultaneous calling in the West Wood which couldn't be explained simply by a bird turning its head, say.  Then, by some miracle, I got a clear, good view high in a poplar that wasn't blocked by nearer trees.  It stayed there a little while, then flew off.  A second bird, or the same one a second time, appeared nearby, not too much later and stayed a long while, mostly obscured.

We then idly observed a WOODPIGEON coasting deeper into the Wood and then, a few seconds later, leaving at some rate of knots, pursued by an oriole, which then, satisfied that it had chased the pigeon away, returned into the heart of the wood.  I wonder if the oriole was just annoyed, or, God willing(?!), actually protecting something.  One can but hope.

The other "target bird" was a BITTERN, as they always are when we visit, and gratifyingly we got a brief view from the New Fen viewpoint - it seemed relatively small as it flew across north-south, so perhaps a fledgling?, but the view was reasonably distant anyway so perhaps an optical illusion.  Nearly as pleasingly, as we lingered on the Bittern's landing, a small flock of BEARDED TITS flew in front.

The visit was reasonably brief (normally we linger much longer as we pursue a view of the Orioles in vain!), but we 'ticked' HOBBY, SWIFT, BLACKCAP, CUCKOO, KESTREL, MARSH HARRIER, REED WARBLER, SEDGE WARBLER, CETTI'S WARBLER, MUTE and WHOOPER SWAN.  We also realised that Welney was pretty much on the way home from Lakenheath, and we wanted to see the Squacco Heron there, which we did.  A beautiful example it was too.

Matthew

• Great blog post! It sounds like you had a great day! Oriole wise we know we have at least one adult male, a first summer male and a female. It is very difficult to know exactly how many we have!

Well done on catching up with the squacco heron, it had departed stage left by the time I went on Monday. We hope to see you on the reserve again soon.

David