places to visit

i know its not a rspb site but i popped in to see how the new Abberton Resevoir  visitor center was on saturday. The center was excellent but as for the rest i wouldnt bother going there again as nothing to see apart from few skylarks, there has been lots of planting in the area but all very young trees and hedges which in 10 years time may be ok but until then forget it.Also you cant get in the reserve till 9am and shuts at 5pm so before and after these times no go at all.Overall very disapointed with the set up, i will stick to rspb sites any day they no there stuff, well done.

• Hi there. I have not been to Abberton Res. for a long time but I would say the new Visitor Centre certainly looks great on the WT's website. Birding large resevoirs can sometimes be a little dull - and tough without a scope - but they can be very good at attracting the odd super rare duck! Abberton in general is very important for waterfowl stopping over on autumn passage, so you might want to try going there again after the summer. And you must agree that nature reserves that are in their infancy have to be given a bit of slack! And it is better they exist than never having been! As for opening times, I do agree that it can be a bit annoying if you can't get some late evening or early morning action as extra - but I suspect there might be a health and safety reason for Abberton closing when there are no staff around. And there are other places out there, including RSPB reserves, that have the same opening hours too. Rye Meads, for example, closes at 5pm because it is in an industrial area and it must be done to help secure the site and protect the habitats, and their wildlife, from criminal acts. Best, John

John aka Zeeox

• Its certainly a blank canvass at the moment. But the Res is a great place in winter, especially for wintering geese.

There aren't too many places where you can get bean, whitefront, barnacle, grey lag and whooper & bewick swan without a silly drive. The 20 minutes up the road, Brents at Fingringhoe.

A perfect winter morning for me!

• Hi Everybody,

Horses for courses, if you want waders then you go to Two Tree Island, Heybridge/Maldon, Abberton, Fingeringhoe, Old Hall, Tollesbury, etc etc If you want little brown birds then you go to the woods at Fingeringhoe, Lakenheath and Minsmere etc.

Abberton is a mind boggling project costing millions, it is fantastic whats gone on there.  Resevoir capacity will be increased by approx 40%.  Nothing is perfect but the visitor centre is new and evolving.  The tree planting will take time to have an effect. Always visit the road causeway when you go to Abberton.  This area had the largest cormorant colony (in the trees) in Britain.  Any reserve which contributes good things for the planet and wild life has gotta be good.

All reserves whether RSPB or WWT all offer unique-ness?  Very proud member of both organisations, well done everybody.