Bearded Tit

Could somebody tell me the best time to catch a climpse of the Bearded Tit  ie: Month/time of day/type of weather etc.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

• Hello there! Thank you for getting in touch. The best weather conditions to see bearded tits are when it is nice and sunny. The best time of year to see them is during the autumn (October-December) when they flock up and feed up on the reed seedheads.

It is also very useful to learn their pinging call as this is often the first clue to their presence. We have a recording in the visitor centre but you could also listen to it on the RSPB website: www.rspb.org.uk/.../index.aspx

I hope thats helps.

David

• I visited Lakenheath Fen early on Saturday morning and was rewarded with some super views of a group of Beardies (I've put a photo in the gallery). I've seen them other times early in the morning, when it's sunny (although I doubt that's relevant), but probably most importantly when it's quite calm. If it's windy they tend to tuck themselves away in the reeds. I've also seen families of youngsters later in the year, but again early in the morning.