Lakenheath Fen Visit

My wife and I visited Lakenheath Fen yesterday for the first time, Saturday19th Nov.  The occupants of the visitors centre were extremely hospitable and welcoming.  Sitting on a bench up by the reed beds we conversed with several regulars and picked their brains (not like a raptor).  It was late afternoon and the sky was blue and the sun was shining.  A Kingfisher gave us tantalising glimse before retreating back into the reed bed and a Marsh Harrier leisurely flew over disappearing behind the tree line.  On walking back to the visitors centre via the river, not one but two Short Eared Owls performed for us, both hunting low to the ground, stopping every so often, obscured from sight in the long grass.  We observed for at least 15 mins.  Being new to identification of species we reported back two Tawny Owls, definitely not Barn Owls.  The experienced warden and helper legged it up the river and came back confirming two Short Eared Owls.  Brilliant.

A big thank you to all the people who assisted and advised us.  Got home to Chelmsford about 6 o clock knackered but happy.  We left home at 7.30 am, got a flat tyre and managed to arrive at Lackford Lakes at 10.20 am.  A Great day out.

• Hello there,

I'm glad to hear that you had such an enjoyable visit last Saturday. The short eared owls have became minor celebrities! Both birds were seen earlier on this afternoon and I will definitely try to be out looking for them tomorrow afternoon.

We hope to see you at the reserve soon,

David