Friday 2nd sightings

I visited the reserve for the first time on Friday, and despite the disappointment of missing the cranes, had a great day out in the sunshine. A juv hobby hawking near the car park and bearded tits showing well from the Mere hide were the highlights. A surprise bird was a sedge warbler feeding at the base of the reeds from the Mere hide, one of the latest I remember seeing. I also saw a Cetti's near the visitor centre, a cream-crowned marsh harrier, a pair of kingfisher near Joist Fen, and a flyover grey wagtail at New Fen (presumably the same bird seen on Saturday). Finally, 4 buzzards were circling beyond Joist Fen, where a snipe also flew toward the river.
  • Hello Tom,

Thank you very much for your post. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the reserve and that you saw a nice variety of birdlife.

We are sorry to hear that you didn't see the cranes. They are very much in and out at this time of year and do spend a lot of time feeding in arable fields out in the Fens. The best time to see them on the reserve tends to be February and March. They can be quite visible at that time of year so it may be worth making a visit if you are able to.

We hope to see you on the reserve again soon.

Many thanks,

David White

Visitor Experience Officer