Sunday 1st of June 2014.

Another day spent at Lakenheath Fen. The site is growing on me; even if my sore old feet do complain about the long paths. Not much happening when I got there, no Hobby to be seen, the odd Marsh Harrier about and of course many smaller birds busy feeding their young. My first observation was not far from Reception, just along the pathway. A female Whitethroat was nesting beside the railway tracks and kept flying up in the air above the nest. She may have been looking out for predators, or even warning one away by hovering, like a Hawk does. The male was busy dashing back and forth with grub... grubs.... and insects generally! Near New Fen Viewpoint another was doing the same thing. She kept dashing up into a tree nearby to call for her mate who was nowhere to be seen as I watched for a good 20 minutes. She also hovered over the nest area from time to time and sat atop a reed. Pictures posted separately; distant but still quite clear. A pleasant few hours were spent in the new Mere Hide, mainly chatting to folks who came in. It was pleasant to see a group of students from UEA who were part of a Uni' wildlife group and taking keen interest. In between people chatting to me I spotted several small birds dashing about in the reeds; Reed Bunting mainly and two unidentifiable (LBJ's)that were too quick. There was a Reed Warbler that came in close to the left side of the hide, but just as it came up to be recognised and photographed the woman who was standing next to me decided to wave her arm out of the hatch proclaiming the presence of a caterpillar, seeing the bird off of course! Later I spotted a small bird fly from the reeds to a tree-top. It sang and sang for its mate. Afterwards it dived down into the reeds opposite the hide. I was very pleased to spot my first Stonechat. A hide-neighbour told me that they normally nest around open meadows, so why it appeared to be nesting in green sedge and reeds I don't know. On the way back I saw the male Marsh Harrier giving his partner a small mammal over the Scrape. The woods were busy as I got nearer to Reception and I could not help but sit on the bench and stare into the woods for a while when I heard something that sounded like... yes, this: http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/g/goldenoriole/ Why I stopped is because I saw something "flash" into the woods from the railway line direction and it was light coloured and about Blackbird size; now please don't panic! Not much was happening around the feeders so I decided to take a walk around the Washland Woods. So glad I did. Bee Orchids, with bees, another flowering plant that I think is a form of Skullcap, but not sure, plus the usual Coney, Blackbirds, Rooks, crows and Wood Pigeon and moth alongside a Speckled Wood butterfly. I was hoping to see the Barn Owl again but no show. Despite the nearby road noise it was a beautiful place to be. The above are just the highlights of yesterday's trip, there were many more things to be seen, and heard; especially the Cuckoo which after a while gets a bit too repetitive! No complaints though as even that gave me some close-up views and pic's last weekend! ;-)