A Bank Vole on my first vist to Lakenheath Fen

Today was my first visit to Lakenheath Fen and what a good day Matt & I had, firstly we were given a very pleasant welcome by John who soon told us what we may see, so after a nice cup of coffee we headed of on our way.  Both Matt and I are unable to walk very far and the quietness was soon broken by a cuckoo  (the first time this year).

We soon spotted two Terns flying along the river and not long after that a kestrel, by now we had to head back to the visitor center where we ate our lunch. by the time we had eaten our lunch our joints could not stand another walk out in the fen so we stopped outside the visitor center and it was here we did most of our photography, Reed Buntings were landing in various places and this was close enough for me to get decent shots on my 70-300 lens, my favorite shot of the day was that of a Bank Vole which was scurrying about amongst the nettles. 

To top what was a good day was the nice ice cream that was on sale this went down very well..

I must say a big thank-you to all the volunteers who helped make my first visit very enjoyable.

Phil

www.idps.org.uk/PhilSmithADPS

"Time is precious waste it wisely"