Awe-inspiring

I had all day for birding yesterday, and following a successful trip to the Wicken Fen area, in the gloom, to see a BLACK-WINGED STILT, which also elicited a WIGEON, SHORT-EARED OWL and MERLIN (perhaps even more remarkable at this time of year), I could have gone virtually anywhere.

But Lakenheath beckoned, and I took the chance to see the RED-FOOTED FALCON for the third time.  It is a truly beautiful bird, its orange/red 'feet' and red bill contrasting with the slate blue underparts.  But the HOBBIES, of which there were approximately half a dozen, were also spectacular of course.  A lot of people who were there yesterday had never seen or heard some of the birds that were making such an impression, and one woman was particularly mesmerized by the booming BITTERNS, while others had never heard SNIPE calling the way they were (near the river bank), nor BEARDED TITS pinging.

The most memorable part of the visit, though, was watching the people watching the falcon and the hobbies over the New Fen area, above and around the viewpoint.  People were captivated, and silent, but for the clicking of camera shutters.  A magnificent display, akin to the Red Arrows.  It's rare that rare birds get so close, but it was almost as if this falcon just wanted to entrance us.

Matt