• Fowlsheugh update

Our work at Fowlsheugh continues...I was on the reserve on Wednesday and Thursday doing more seabird monitoring.   One of my jobs each year is to monitor the breeding success of the kittiwakes.   I have to identify and map about 400 kittiwake nests and re-visit them at key times to calculate how many chicks actually fledge from their nests.   I am pleased to report that most of my nests are at the "small chick" stage.…

• A fantastic two days at Fowlsheugh

Hi...myself and one of our vountary wardens have been at Fowlsheugh for the last two days undertaking some annual seabird monitoring work.   We've had a great couple of days. The weather was kind to us.  Tuesday started off a little damp and chilly but by the end of the day, the sun was shining and today was glorious.   At long last, it seems summer has arrived and the cliff top flowers that have struggled to flower this…

• puffins puffins puffins

We had another guided walk last night, in fact we had to run two walks as we were oversubscribed.   As usual people were blown away by the seabird spectacle.  It was a lovely evening ,although the southerly winds were a bit chilly.   We saw puffins again, a total of 14, so, so far a 100 percent success rate.   Our guided walks will continue into June and July, chck the website for dates.

A good number of the kittiwakes are…

• Guided walks a go go

Don't forget that the first of the season's guided walks at Fowlsheugh takes place tomorrow evening at 7pm. Booking is essential and there are still places available, so give us a ring on 01346 532234 (leave a message and we'll get back to you) or email strathbeg@rspb.org.uk .

We can't guarantee puffins, but there's a very good chance that we will see them!

• Seabird update

Hi..we paid a quick visit to Fowlsheugh last Thursday, it is looking magnificent.   The birds are well into the swing of the breeding season.   We saw our first razorbill egg and the kittiwakes are well into nest building.  There were plenty of birds on the cliffs and on the water.  We also saw a peregrine, which flushed waves of birds off the cliffs as it flew by.      We visited the Stonehaven Brownie Group in the evening for…

• Making waves

Just a quick note to say the Bottle-nosed Dolphins have been seen again from the clifftops at Fowlsheugh in recent days by visitors. They tend to roam great distances, but perhaps they are spending a bit of time not too far away and there will be further sightings...

Do let us know if you're lucky enough to see them.

• Fowlsheugh last Tuesday

Hi

a very late post.sorry..but better late than never.   I was at the reserve last Tuesday with one of our voluntary wardens.  It was still pretty awful weather, but  we had things to do.   The steps at the entrance to the reserve had suffered a bit with the heavy rain at some point.   A lot of the gravel had washed to the bottom, leaving big holes in the steps.  So, we did a bit of ferrying and filling.   There is still a bit…