My first outing to Burton Mere

I had my first outing on Sunday and visited the beautiful Burton Mere reserve with my boyfriend.  I was greeted by a very friendly lady who told me how to get around the reserve and also that they have just had a sighting of a short eared owl!  I certainly picked a good day!  I managed to catch a glimpse of the owl flying low over the reeds but I need to invest in a better pair of binoculars.  Even so, we stayed in the main hide for a bit and my sightings included widgeons, canadian geese, pink footed geese, godwins, lapwings, shelducks and coots!  I know most of my fellow members will have seen this many times but I was so excited to be so close to the birds!  We then took a walk to the new hide and I saw a lovely little stone chat landing on top of the reeds!  What startled me was as we were walking to the hide, out of no-where, 2 blue tits fell to the floor literally right in front of us.  I thought they were injured but it turned out they were squabbling and they quickly got up and carried on their argument somewhere in one of the trees!  Everyone I bumped into at Burton Mere was so friendly and it was really enjoyable listening to the experienced birders who have obviously been following the birds for many years.  I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed my visit and will definitely be visiting again (hopefully with new binoculars!).  Jo x

Jo x

tweet tweet.......