Photos of your visits...

We are definitely missing seeing all your photos so how about using this thread to upload your pics until such a time as the upload button in the gallery is working. I'll start with a photo of a goldfinch from the garden hide. :) 

• A beautiful clear day today at OM. Bright sun and still frosty in the shadows where the sun had not reached. These two images were taken on the TPT just behind the car park.

• This also now seems to have stopped working!

The message after uploading says only certain URL's and File types are allowed - the file type being .jpg.

However, it will not accept a .jpeg despite apparently uploading OK? ???

• See my post on the Community Home page

www.rspb.org.uk/.../114679.aspx

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I have just reported this error on survey monkey site ... the more the merrier!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I am getting the same error here now it started yesterday :(

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• JPG and JPEG file formats are identical. Older DOS-based computers were designed to handle a maximum "3-character file extension" which is why JPG was attributed to compressed image files. Modern operating systems allow for longer file extensions e.g. .html. So the JPG file extension is now JPEG file extension on some systems (JPEG  is the acronym for Joint Photographic Experts Group).

If the photo software you use creates .jpeg file extensions, change it to .jpg (something like rename file - or just overtype it?)*, before uploading it to the RSPB site.  Or maybe you can set your software to save with a three letter extension instead of four?

Trevor

Volunteer Optics Advisor

RSPB Old Moor

* I'm a mac user, and have no experience of modern windows pcs, I'm afraid.  On a mac JPEG files usuallly have a .jpg extension anyway.

• I have change the file extension Trevor, to JPEG, JPG, jpeg and jpg and none of them will fully upload it gets to the full upload then say its invalid :(

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• I have just tried, and cannot get a 920kb or a 450kb .jpg to upload, getting the same error message as you.  :(

I see the 'still struggling' thread previously linked is not encouraging...

"This feature can be temperamental so if your upload fails your best bet is to just try again until it is successful."

Maybe the only answer for now is to post your file to your favourite photo sharing site and share the link?

Trevor

Volunteer Optics Advisor
    RSPB Old Moor

• Testing flickr out.

Sadly only puts a link :(

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Jims Flickr idea may be the way to go. I know a lot of regular posters have Flickr accounts. Is it worth collating a list of accounts in this group ?

For those that don’t have an account :

It is well worth creating one, as I’m sure most account holders will testify. I don’t think there is a file size or type restriction, and you get 1TB storage free. And you can 'follow' fellow Old Moor regulars uploads. Or you can post your uploads to the RSPB Old Moor Flickr Group. I’ve not put any of mine into the OM group because I don’t regard them as good enough - they do look extremely high quality and I wouldn’t want to swamp that group with 'average to good' quality pics. But with the groups admin permission we could post to that group, or even create a new generic 'OM Community' group that I wouldn’t feel so guilty posting to ! It does seem to be a slightly different set of people that use the OM Flickr group to that who use this RSPB site, so maybe a separate Flickr group is an option as a temporary (or permanent, or parallel) measure. These aren't as much suggestions as ideas to band about.

This is my account : www.flickr.com/.../petermit2

And my Old Moor album : www.flickr.com/.../72157643709792355

I know they’re not as high quality as a lot of users, but that doesn’t matter - it's just to show that Jims option is viable.