RSPB reserve Bempton Cliffs don't make it very clear that non members of the RSPB don't have to pay an entrance charge to visit the Bempton Cliffs reserve

In my opinion the RSPB don't make it clear that non members of the RSPB don't have to pay an admission charge of £3.50 to visit Bempton Cliffs as the path along the cliffs is a public right of way and there is free access along the cliffs on that path. Anyone who looks at the Bempton Cliffs webpage on the reserve listings on the RSPB website can see there is no mention that the footpath is a public right of way and no admission charge is actually necessary for anyone to visit Bempton Cliffs and in my opinion the RSPB should make that point very clear.

Regards,

Ian.

• Hello Thomo, you're absolutely right that there is a footpath that provides free access to Bempton Cliffs.  However most people start their visit from our car park - which is one of the things our admission fee covers.  It also covers maintenance of the footpaths across the reserve, maintenance of our six safe viewing platforms and, crucially for most of our visitors, the toilet facilities (did you know we spend £1000 a year on loo paper alone?)

The fee also contributes to the important seabird research that we undertake on the reserve, so all-in-all we believe that £3.50 is great value for money.  However, anyone who wishes is welcome to use the cliff path.

• I think a better way,would be to have a car parking charge for non member drivers and free for members like of old or the RSPB at Bempton Cliffs should make it clear on there entrance signs as that is not very clear, that anyone is entitled to walk along the public right of way along Bempton Cliffs free of charge.

Regards,

Ian.

• They used to charge for the car parking, then last year changed to the new system, which I said at the time was a bit silly as none members can now park then walk onto the cliffs free. ??

• I don't personally see why the RSPB should make a point of telling people that they can visit Bempton Cliffs for free.

As has been said by Maria, the admission fee for non members covers all of the facilities that the RSPB provides.

Yes, there is a public footpath along the top of the cliffs, but anyone using this does not have the right to access any part of the reserve that is not on the footpath (which means that they do not have the right to use the viewing platforms). I doubt that there are many visitors to the reserve who do not visit the viewing platforms and use the other facilities, except perhaps ramblers and other people who enjoy long distance walks (and those people tend to be well aware of the right of access granted by designated footpaths - and the fact that there is no right to leave the designated path).

• The thing is that non members of the RSPB using the public footpath for free will probably use the viewing platform without charge as well. There's no way the RSPB can check. And the RSPB I think legally have a duty to inform the public that there is a free public right of way along Bempton Cliffs without been charged a fee. I don't know the legal ramifications about this. But I would imagine this sort of information should be provided at the entrance to Bempton Cliffs reserve. The only really way round this would be to to have a car parking charge for Bempton Cliffs like the RSPB used to have for non member drivers of a vehicle.

Regards,

Ian.

• Charge non members for parking yes, install coin operated toilets perhaps. BUT to charge people to use the refreshments facilities (over and above the cost of a cuppa and snack) or even to charge them to enter the shop and buy expensive binoculars or gifts? NO! Additionally, asking for an admission charge to land that has public access is misleading at best and morally wrong, if not criminal, at worst.

I am an RSPB member and agree that valuable work requires funds. But they should be obtained by fair means