Barn owls - Life in the box 2!

Former Contributor
Former Contributor

Now the kestrels have fledged you can now watch our three barn owl chicks live via http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/a/arne/webcam.aspx.

They aren't very active during the day but watch during the evening as the parents bring them voles and mice that they catch on the heath and farmland close to their nest.

Feel free to use the forum to post any observations or questions and we will do are best to answer them!

Barn owl chicks take atleast 55 days to fledge which is a big difference to the kestrel chicks which fledged after 35 days. The oldest chick is about  50 days old and the youngest is about 40 days old so there is still abit of time before they all fledge. Female barn owls don't delay incubation of their eggs unlike the kestrels so there is always a big difference in chick size with the oldest being the most dominant and likely to eat its smaller siblings. It sounds gruesome but it is a survival mechanism and will see the older chicks through periods when food is scarce and often ensures that atleast one chick will always fledge. In the case of this nest they all look healthy and there has been plenty of food so fingers crossed for the smallest one.

Enjoy watching and listen out for the extremely scary noises they make!

• I must try and remember or p'raps you wouldn't mind reminding me next year if I don't pick up on it! Though spending far too much time on computer as it is!

All quiet and empty in the box as now seems usual at this time of night, seemingly popping back in the daytime to sleep. Might have fully fledged but seems to have decided Arne is to be its permanent roosting address.

• Empty box at 7.30 this a.m. Of course I will remind you next year Pudweena.

• Thank you very much mops. Usual nightly nothing in the box!

• Last saw owlet in the box at the VC after Wednesday walk last week though not checked during the daytime since then.  All empty and quiet every night now.  Is it still popping back in the box any time I wonder?

• I look at least twice every day and have seen no sign of anything in the box for quite a while now.

• Nor me, nearly a week now.  Anyone noticed it back recently at the VC by any chance? Or any sign of any out hunting lately?  Thanks.

• Well maybe that's it then for this year, glad to hear from Michael's latest blog that he's seen one out hunting though whether a young one or adult suppose difficult to tell. So grateful to the RSPB for the webcam and being able to watch the chicks growing up and learning so much about them.  Another great success story too, like the kestrels before, with fantastic parenting and plentiful food, no wonder the wildlife likes to stay at Arne. Do miss seeing them, have grown very fond of them - Osprey? Firecrests? think Barn Owls are my favourite for now!  

• Former Contributor
    Former Contributor 09/09/2011 01:35 in reply to pudweena

Yes Pudweena I am afraid that it is it for the barn owls we have decided to stop streaming the barn owl web cam off in the next day or so but we will still have a link in the VC so we can see if the adults roost at all! We are hoping to stream a feeder cam soon so you will be able to get to Arne even if you can't get to Arne (if you see what I mean)!

Thanks to every body for joining in on this forum, the owls where a big success and it was great to see three fledge. I guess we will see you next year for the kestrels (fingers crossed)!

• I would like to say a big thank you to all involved in bring the webcms into our homes - I have soooo enjoyed watching the owlets feed and eventually leave the nest and hopefully I will be here to watch it from the early days next year.  With many thanks to all concerned.