Kestrels - Life in the box 2013

Former Contributor
Former Contributor

Hello - This is a rather rushed first post but after a long time with nothing happening on the kestrel nest we came in this morning to find our surprise that the first egg has been layed! Very exciting! So I have switched the web cam over for the time being!

We are still keeping an eye on the buzzard nest so if they do decide to use it we will switch over to them!

But for the time being happy viewing of the kestrels

Michael

Ps - As this has happened quickly the web cam caption will still be for the feeder for a few days until I get the web team to change it over!

• Brilliant Michael, that was sneaky of them behind your back :-)

• Wooopee!!! Excellent news, thanks Michael - I was looking forward to either buzzards or kestrels - and looking in, there is the familiar site of the whitewashed walls!

Will pop in from time to time, whenever online, and look forward to seeing the kestrels again. Is it the same parents as last year? Or have a different pair taken up residence? Can't wait to see them:-)

Hi Pudweena, nice to see you again:-))) Bet you've had bad withdrawal symptoms lol

• Plenty of activity, including the sound of chickens as well as kestrels (I love the farm sounds, but hope we don't get the tractor symphony this year lol). Unfortunately all the action seems to be outside at the moment. Mind you, they're so quick I've probably missed any fly-ins.

• At appx 16.45 Mrs arrived and started to incubate. I think the heavy rain brought her in!

Recording not brill, takes a while to start but my computer is scanning and that's always a go-slow:-(

• 15.06 and Mrs is at the window. Has the rain stopped yet?

Got to go now. Happy watching all:-)

• Hi all you peoples!  Only just logged on & saw Doggie's post to me about the cam - fantastic - had just asked Michael about eggs a couple of days ago too!  Obviously I would like to hear that the Buzzards have a successful nest but don't want to see them if it means losing Kestrel cam!!  Can't we have a whip round for another nest cam?  thanks for the screen captures so far - am on tablet at mo & can't get live cam!  Also hoping that my Kestrel pair here are getting their act together - they are in & out of nest quite often now!!

EDIT:  Just watched your vids Mims - thank goodness you can do recording!  Hope that my Mrs K is doing the same as Mrs Arne K!!

• Hello again mims & everyone - so where did that year go then?! :-)

• Former Contributor
    Former Contributor 28/04/2013 16:31 in reply to pudweena

Morning

Re comment regarding tractors - Remember this nest is in a working area so there will always be a certain amount of noise. Staff have been told about the camera and there is a sign up.

There is always a fair amount of movement of machinery - The Kestrels have successfully nested here for several years and roost here all winter and do not appear to be affected!

Michael

• Former Contributor
    Former Contributor 28/04/2013 16:58 in reply to Former Contributor

Hi Wendy - Just to put you in the picture for the buzzards, we have several cameras around the the reserv and the pictures are all fed back to the centre and we can choose which one we can stream on to the web. Unfortunately we can actually only do that with one at a time with the set up we have and it will probably stay this way for a while.

The buzzards are very slow at the moment so I made the decision to go the kestrels but please bare with us and we will see what happens!

Regards

Michael