• Le Tour de RSPB

Blogger: Erica Howe, Communications Officer

I sat with goosebumps all over my arms and a tear in my eye. It was Sunday evening last week and I was watching the Tour de France on TV.

This sporting occasion was going to go down in the history books. I was imagining telling my kids about the day I sat and watched Bradley Wiggin become the first Briton to ever win the Tour de France, arguably one of the hardest sporting…

• Spiderman vs. Batman

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

Have you watched the new Batman and Spiderman movies? Were you dragged along by your other half or are you a secret comic book superhero fan?

This started off a debate in our office over who is best between these two masked crusaders. Spiderman had it easy being bitten by a radioactive spider giving him super cool powers. Whereas, Batman equally had it easy as he is a…

• Feel the love!

Back in late January we asked you to help us. Help us with something very close to our hearts. Hintlesham Woods is one of the largest remaining blocks of ancient woodland in Suffolk and is nationally important for its size, archaeological features and the communities of plants, birds, insects and other wildlife that live there.  

www.youtube.com/watch

However, it is threatened. National Grid is planning to construct new…

• It takes a lot to look this good

Blogger: Kate Blincoe, Communications Manager

2012 is the year of pomp and circumstance; it will be remembered for its huge events and public display. It is a year to feel proud of our nation as a great party host. However, anyone who has ever thrown a party, particularly one with outdoors elements, can imagine the amount of work that has to go on behind the scenes.

I love the London 2012 stats that make you see the…

• Rainforests in the East - Diary Post #1

Blogger: Lili Kumar, Community Fundraising Assistant

Hi Gena here for a quick update before I leave Lili to her rainforest post. Hopefully you will all have seen the information regarding the RSPB’s Together for Trees partnership with Tesco to raise money and awareness for tropical forest projects around the globe.

As part of this work, Tesco’s are opening the doors of all their UK superstores and Extra stores…

• No bat, yeah bat, no bat......

Blogger: Rachael Murray, Projects Officer

At the RSPB, we are well known for our royal allegiance to birds.  And, whilst we think things with beaks are pretty marvellous, it’s less known that we also spend a great deal of time protecting, campaigning for, and creating space for all manner of other beastie.  

And though I know this theoretically, it’s been working on The Lodge wind turbine project that has really…

• Fifteen is the new thirty!

Do you know what? I've completely forgotten what it's like to be fifteen all over again! This week, we've been joined by Ellen and Dylan who are on work experience from school. They have certainly made me feel old! But, they have both been lovely and we have hopefully given them a flavour of what it's like working for a conservation organisation. They are definitely our conservationists of the future!

• Find the olympian in your garden!

Blogger - Aggie Rothon

It was four years ago that the Olympics first became ‘real’ to me. Before that they had passed me by as another sporting event happening a long way away. But in 2008 I was made to sit still and watch. The reason for this was that on a sunny August morning that year my son Robin arrived. A tiny, pink, curled up being, swathed in a too-big babygro, he clung to my front from day one and refused to…

• What is the difference between...

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

...a lesser and great spotted woodpecker? Good question – some detective work required.

I come from a primate background (study related and family heritage) and I was taught that the lesser apes are the smaller ones i.e. the gibbons, like the one you get in the Harapan rainforest in Sumatra. The great apes are the bigger ones such as gorillas, orang-utans, chimps,…

• Going for Gold!

I run the risk of sounding like a small child in the lead up to Christmas but, there are only 18 days left till the Olympics Games! On 27 July, the opening ceremony of the most eagerly anticipated sporting event takes place in London and the whole world will be watching. It’s like throwing your own birthday party, nervous that no-one will have a good time, only on a slightly bigger scale of course.

I’m excited about…

• Gillyflowers, CAP and Coleridge

‘Hot July brings cooling showers, apricots and gillyflowers.’ said Sara Coleridge, daughter to the famous Samuel.

I’m not sure what gillyflowers are (I’ll google them later) but I’m sure we are all well versed in cooling showers.

For those of us who love to Step Up for Nature, July also brings us things to do, give, volunteer and campaign for. 

Give: Rainforest appeal

Almost all of the…

• And the nominees are ...

Blogger - Kate Blincoe, Communications Manager

Did you watch EURO 2012? I watched a few matches, but more in an ‘ok then if it’s on’ rather than a ‘come on, score!’ kind of way. I’m probably in a minority, but I find it hard to get too excited about something where I can neither influence the result nor feel personally affected by the outcome.

What I can get fired up about, however…