Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

slug deterants and frogs.

Hello, I am new to this forum so this might have been covered in the past, sorry if it has. I believe that garlic spray(1teaspn to 1 pt water)sprayed on plants regularly persuades the slugs and snails to munch elsewhere. The garlic does not kill them but sends them a little drunk and they do not like it. Does anyone know if it would harm my frogs if they come into contact with a sprayed plant? Also will mucus absorbing granules harm the wet skins of my little croakers? One thing I have found out !! slugs and snails love banana skins and will eat them rather than your plants. Chris.

• Presumably frogs would smell the garlic and steer clear if it was harmful or distasteful to them. I'm not sure what you would use mucous absorbing granules for in a garden but they may be harmful to amphibians. Amphibians breathe through their skin. The mucous moistens the skin, optimizing oxygen absorption.

I would seek further advice from the manufacturer of the granules or someone with the knowledge to advise on amphibians.

• Thank you. The granules are to spread around your plants, they absorb the mucus of slugs and snails so they will not venture over them. Chris