Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Is this a juvenile Starling

Anonymous
Anonymous

Hi there

I noticed a Starling on our make-shift feeder this morning. 

Is it a juvenile one by chance?

The seeds had dropped into the flower basket and the bird was happily picking out the sunflower hearts to eat.

Dave had the camera ready, and it was very happy to pose for us.

Wonder where its friends are or if it one on its own-some

Anyone else have the odd Starling in their garden now - most of them have disappeared now.

• It most certainly is,lovely pics too.

• Oh this is lovely!

We also have a couple of Starlings in our garden, but no young.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous in reply to Nikki

Thank you Nikki for your kind remarks about my Starling photo's

The same bird kept on coming back today for more food.  I did not see any more of his friends.

I have just moved house and need to get my feeders sorted at the moment,

One of the feeders does not belong to me (like the bird table) and the feeder has fallen apart.  I replaced it today with a cheap one from Tesco until I get my proper feeders up and running.

Do your Starlings come back every day in your garden, and is there just the 2 of them?

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Well, we have taken our feeders down recently due to a mole/rat problem, but now that's sorted they'll be back out and when the feeders are out we having the Starlings every day and they usually squabble with the blackbird in our garden!

The feeders we have are amazing - you can get them anywhere, I think we got them from Morrisons, and they are all different colours and attract a different bird for each one. They also clip together so if you are limited on space, which we are, you can have 8 or 9 feeders on only 2 hooks!

• Anonymous

Hi Nikki

I like the idea of the clip together feeders.

Must have a look in Morrisons for the feeders that you have mentioned here

Have you any photo's by chance {big smile}

Love to see your Sparrows and your Blackbird a whole lot in your garden area.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Hiya!

Yes I do have some pictures but very very amatuer, although I will add onto here later in the week! I spent a whole day once taking pictures of the blackbirds, haha!

Anyways, off to the land of nod, will talk to you on here soon!

• Anonymous

hi Nikki

Thank you for your reply

Please do not worry about your photo's - they are photos and that is what counts,

We are at all photography levels here and we do enjoy looking at all photos

Love to see them

Enjoy a good sleep tonight {goodnight}

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Nikki J said:

Hiya!

Yes I do have some pictures but very very amatuer, although I will add onto here later in the week! I spent a whole day once taking pictures of the blackbirds, haha!

Anyways, off to the land of nod, will talk to you on here soon!

• Hi Kathy

These are very nice photos of your juvenile starling. They are always an enterprising species.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous in reply to Woodpecker

Hi Chris

Thank you for your kind comments about my photographs {big smile}

Sparrows are certainly very industrious birds, and they know where the best food places is

I have only put the food out in the feeder clipped onto the Birdfeeder in the last 4 days or so ,and I have a Male and a Female Blackbird, {the female bird is really friendly already},1 Wood Pigeon and 1 Starling so far.

Will get there in the end {smile}

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• We have a juvenile Starling that never leaves the garden ,it feeds here and waters ,Im just a little worried as its on its own and huddles under the hedge or beneath the tree,I always thought that they were usually in a group.
    It can fly ok and its not frightened of us.
    Any advice please?
    Yvonne