Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

bats

Its a funny  world.  the bungalow in which i live has elm boarding either end as decorative pieces. Behind the boards their are hundred of pipistrelle bats.  The sunny side of the bungalow is known as mothers and toddlers.  The cold side batchelors pad.

Your never alone in the garden
  • How wonderful - it must be a fantastic sight, and right on your doorstep, so to speak.

The necessity of bird-watching is a really good reason for avoiding all forms of housework.

The dust will still be there tomorrow - the birds may not be!

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 04/09/2009 17:23 in reply to Squirrel

We have had bats in more than one of our rented properties and they are just most amazing animals.  Once in Scotland. twice in England and once in Spain (May time)  I wish I knew what species they where though.  Are there any well known species of Bats in Menorca I wonder?.

The first sightings we had was a few years ago. I was standing outing my farmhouse door and they where flying around my ears. This was around about dusk time.  It is amazing how they do not hit anything at all - they are geared to avoid hitting things -.so clever.  All you could hear was a very high pitch buzzing in your ears (if you can hear high pitch noises that is)!

This experience is noted in the Spring time at dusk , and not over the summer months.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Squirrel B said:

How wonderful - it must be a fantastic sight, and right on your doorstep, so to speak.

• You could try contacting the Bat Conservation Trust - 0845 1300 228 or www.bats.org.uk  - they can put you in touch with your local bat groups who may be able to survey and identify the bats for you.

Help swifts by letting us know what they're up to - fill in the 2010 survey

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 04/09/2009 21:54 in reply to LRB

Hi LRB

I will do what you have suggested, and report back here in the future

Thank you for your link.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Liz R said:

You could try contacting the Bat Conservation Trust - 0845 1300 228 or www.bats.org.uk  - they can put you in touch with your local bat groups who may be able to survey and identify the bats for you.

• Bats are great, aren't they? At Top Lodge we have both pipistrelles and also brown long-eared bats. One particular pipistrelle likes to sometimes roost behind one of the wooden signs on the wall. How do we know? Because its droppings fall down onto the sign below, which just so happens to say 'toilets'. Hows that for a coincidence! :)

On the flip side, I know there are bats living around where i live because twice in the past year one has got into my bedroom and been apparently unable to find its way out. Not sure why, they have seemed very reluctant to fly back out the window, even when i have opened it up to its fullest extent.

Reedbed, freshwater scrapes, saltmarsh and wet meadow. Frampton Marsh has it all! Come and pay us a visit soon.

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 05/09/2009 04:21 in reply to Chris Andrews

Hi Chris

So agree, Bats are fasinating creatures. 

Is there any particular time of the year that Bats are around?  Does the weather play a major part with Bats lives?

Well  one thing they are good at doing, and that is leaving a few presents around about for all to see.  Maybe they can read the toilet signs after all, LOL.  Thinking of Wildlife programmes with David Attenbrough he has spent a 'pungent' day or night or two in a bat cave.  They have a distinctive smell of their own, and too much of it might not be a good thing.  Whew!

Still though, they are cute in my eyes any day, and there activities are a fasination to me.

Chris, you one got in your bedroom, wow not the easiest 'animal' to catch.  Personally I would not know  what to do if one got into any part of the house.  Once housebound, I wonder why they do not like to go out into the fresh air - is it an attraction for lights somewhere?  hmmm!

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• I went on a bat walk last night with my local wildlife trust group, we saw Pipestrels and some Daubenton's, all be it very briefly.  We used Bat detectors and the evening had a very alien type film feel to it.

We chatted  about bats in the pub afterwards and I have been given advice on the preferred style of bat boxes for the side of my house where I have seen piperstrels whizzing past.

Beautiful creatures and a wonderful night.

www.thecynicalgardener.com

Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone.

• Nicki C said:

We have had bats in more than one of our rented properties and they are just most amazing animals.  Once in Scotland. twice in England and once in Spain (May time)  I wish I knew what species they where though. 

If you contact the Bat Conservation Trust as LRB suggested, they should be able to send round a member of a local bat group to identify your bats. Each species of bat works on a different frequency.

Once you have identified your bats you can take part in the bat survey, it only takes a few hours and it helps the bat Conservation Trust understand how our native bats are doing.

Build it and they will come.

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 08/09/2009 01:35 in reply to Wildlife friendly

Hi Wildlife Friendly

Thank you for your reply

Now I have moved,  I will be sure to place any more ID's to the 'Bat' survey people.  Even the ones we see in Menorca, Spain (we will be going in May time next year no doubt) will be noted too

So that is what we will do, and it makes sense to do as you have mentioned anyday.

Never have been sure where to turn at times. but reporting any sightings is the best way forward now.

Thanks

Kathy and Dave

Unknown said:

We have had bats in more than one of our rented properties and they are just most amazing animals.  Once in Scotland. twice in England and once in Spain (May time)  I wish I knew what species they where though. 

If you contact the Bat Conservation Trust as LRB suggested, they should be able to send round a member of a local bat group to identify your bats. Each species of bat works on a different frequency.

Once you have identified your bats you can take part in the bat survey, it only takes a few hours and it helps the bat Conservation Trust understand how our native bats are doing.

[/quote]