Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Pale Male

If you have not heard of Pale Male and Lola you have waited too long.

Pale Male and Lola are two red tailed hawks that live in Central Park New York city. They nest on a very plush building  at 927 Fifth Avenue. They became world famous in 2004 when the residents tried to have the nest removed.

There is a brilliant photographer called Lincoln Karim who photographs them day after day. It is always a pleasure to look at them.

See http://www.palemale.com/

The story of Pale Male and Lola was told in the July issue of Vanity Fair. See http://www.vanityfair.com/fame/features/2005/07/palemale200507

• Tiger thanks for this link and what wonderful photos.  Why on earth would people want to have the nests removed when they have these magnificent birds taking up residence.

Margobird

• I have no words !! How do you manage to find such wonderful bird sites. How beautiful Pale Male and Lola are.

Thank you.

• Tiger.....what wonderful pictures and wonderful facial expressions, especially pic.no.10. It looks as if chick is laughing!!!!

"Birds of a Feather".... ~( :o )

• Hi Tiger I have only just joined and am gradually reading through all the posts. Your photos are truly wonderful and I have saved the link to my favourites. Brilliant, thank you so much.

The necessity of bird-watching is a really good reason for avoiding all forms of housework.

The dust will still be there tomorrow - the birds may not be!

• Thanks so much, Tiger.  What wonderful pics. (only just read your posting)

• Thanks Tiger what beautiful birds and absolutely stunning photograpshs.  As you say will give a lot of pleasure to look at them.

Margobird

• Hi Tiger

What fabulous pictures, and so clear and concise.

Why on earth would people want to remove such beautiful BoP's from their buildings.  If Peregrin Falcons are accepted in inner London city.....why are Red Tailed Hawks not accepted in New York City.

Personally they are on of the best vermin removers in crowded cities.  Pigeons would be high on the menu for all BoP's in all inner cities.  As we know pigeons are considered a growing pest  in inner cites due to the poo that they leave on stone buildings - and other associated problems with them.

One consideration here: If you look at a place like Edinburgh, Scotland, (my hometown) and it's famous monuments/statues - we think of preserving the ancient stonework.  The stonework has to be continual being cleaned year after for amount of pigeon muck (and other things) that are produced on a yearly basis. It must cost the Council millions to keep in order.

Having a BoP on site is one of the cheapest forms of pest removal, and they are beautiful to look at too.  Just to see them do what come naturally is something to behold.  A bird in flight,  a hunting bird etc...feeding a young family.

I really hope that people in inner cities will accept BoP's in the future, and the birds are taken as that.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Hazel b said:

If you have not heard of Pale Male and Lola you have waited too long.

Pale Male and Lola are two red tailed hawks that live in Central Park New York city. They nest on a very plush building  at 927 Fifth Avenue. They became world famous in 2004 when the residents tried to have the nest removed.

There is a brilliant photographer called Lincoln Karim who photographs them day after day. It is always a pleasure to look at them.

See http://www.palemale.com/

The story of Pale Male and Lola was told in the July issue of Vanity Fair. See http://www.vanityfair.com/fame/features/2005/07/palemale200507

• So after a hiatus of seven years it looks as if Pale Male is a dad again. See  Pale male

• Red Tailed hawks are such beautiful birds, hope Pale Male and his partner have a good season! :-)