Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Identify sick birds ? Wet wood pigeons

Hello I have a very active garden with wood pigeons , collared doves , robins ,tits , blackbirds, sparrows, starlings and a few hedgehogs .  I clean the feeders every 2-3 days and  change clean water daily .. I stock their food twice to three times daily /so small quantities at a time . 

I saw a wood pigeon yesterday really wet ( others looked dry in spite of rain ) he also had one eye swollen shut,  but otherwise eating and “being  the boss of the garden :) “ ensuring he ate like usual , flying no issues other than wet and one swollen eye . 

in spite of stickers on the window I think he may have been the wood pigeon that crashed into my window about a week ago . 

is a wet pigeon or bird always a sick pigeon or bird  ? ( I’ve seen woodies look wet before with no other issues ) 

When do I pull my food for two weeks under what conditions ? Ie describe what makes a sick bird viewing to pull food Pray

Also I had a hedgehog rescue from the backyard two weeks ago could a sick hedgehog transmit disease ? 

I hate to pull food if the wood pigeon needs support after a concussion . 

I don’t have a large backyard to move feeding areas - live in Bicester 

Thank you so much lots of questions 

• Is the wet bird still around? If after 24hrs it is still looking in poor condition it would suggest that it's worth trying to catch it and get it to a wildlife vet that can make an appropriate decision.

Cin J

• I saw it today it looks better ( not wet ) but eye swollen and shut without any fluids from eye . He is too frisky to catch . I just don’t know what to do is he infectious or sustained a head injury ? I don’t know enough about pigeons eyes .

I did relocate my feeding station to the front after a big bleach down and unfortunately decided to withhold ground feeding for a week. I assume the birds will find the new stations ?
  • The fact that he is still feisty is promising.

They should do - it doesn't quite sound like Trich so fingers crossed there really isn't much more you can do. As long as there are urban gardens with shrubbery or woodlands the ground feeders should be ok

Cin J