Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Groups of Magpies at this time of year

Hello

For the last week there have intermittently been groups of magpies (as many as 15) gathering around our resident pair who are already building their nest and have their territory. The gatherings seem to be peaceable and 'chatty' so what is going on?

• Apart from the obvious, a shortage of food due to it being winter, therefore there could be a plentiful supply, magpies as I'm sure you're aware, are corvids.

I'm going to stick my neck out a bit here, so I could be very wrong, and hopefully someone will correct me, but I wonder if the magpies are juveniles learning to exchange ideas between each other.

A bit like PGL for magpies.....

I know crows do this, or something very similar, but I couldn't find anything to suggest magpies do as well, and like crows, magpies are social and like crows, magpies are very intelligent.

As I said earlier, I could be wrong, and hopefully someone will correct me.

• Thank you for this, Mike.

Funnily enough your 'sticking your neck out' thought is something of what came to mind for me. Usually the magpie pair I watch see others off - so I thought they might be related and they 'chatter' and fly back and forth around each other, and leave and come back with no sign of aggression or stress...they also don't stay for that long before they all disperse except the resident pair -but this morning is the second time in a week I have watched this gathering.

What is PGL??
  • Meredith D said:
    Thank you for this, Mike.

Funnily enough your 'sticking your neck out' thought is something of what came to mind for me. Usually the magpie pair I watch see others off - so I thought they might be related and they 'chatter' and fly back and forth around each other, and leave and come back with no sign of aggression or stress...they also don't stay for that long before they all disperse except the resident pair -but this morning is the second time in a week I have watched this gathering.

What is PGL??

You're welcome.

PGL stands for "Parents Get Lost." It's  still going, which surprised me to read, founded in 1957 (before I wuz  born), and is basically an outdoor education activity program for young people.