Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Hedgehogs

Hi everyone,

This is the first time I've posted on here so I hope this works!! I now have three Hedgehogs visiting my garden every night, I love them & can get close enough to touch them, they have become very trusting of me & don't mind me being close! I feel very lucky to have them and am looking forward, hopefully, to seeing some babies!! Here are some photos of them. Hope you like them.

• Hi June, welcome to the forums.  Wonderful photos of your nocturnal visitors, they are cute!  How come you can get so close to them, I get them too but they're off and away as soon as they hear me coming with the cat food - then when they think the coast is clear, they creep back and scoff the whole lot.   I've been getting them for years but they're not as tame as yours!

Funny thing is when our old dilapidated gate gave up the ghost we put a new one on, but I insisted that a gap be cut out at the bottom to allow the hedgehogs through from the front - it's a beautiful gate, very sturdy, shame we have only recently found out the hedgehogs don't come from the front, they come from next door neighbour's garden via a broken piece of fence panel!! LOL :-)

• Hi June

Welcome to the site and what a way to start. Great pictures which allows all to share this with you.

Robert

• Ahhhhh lovely June and welcome.Great to see your hedgies such cuties :o)

An optimist sees the beauty of the complete rose.A pessimist sees only the thorn .

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 01/07/2010 03:28 in reply to Kezmo

"Funny thing is when our old dilapidated gate gave up the ghost we put a new one on, but I insisted that a gap be cut out at the bottom to allow the hedgehogs through from the front - it's a beautiful gate, very sturdy, shame we have only recently found out the hedgehogs don't come from the front, they come from next door neighbour's garden via a broken piece of fence panel!! LOL :-)"

Oh No Kezmo !! lmao

Hi June,

I have a wee hedgehog visiting me too, he loves salmon meat paste ! what a noise he makes eating it !

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 01/07/2010 03:31 in reply to Anonymous

Hi June, thanks for showing us your sweet hedgehogs.  They are so cute!

• Aye June

Welcome to the fourms from me also.

Your photos are great  and thankyou for posting them for us to see.

Hope to hear more from you soon

Cheers

AL

If its no fun Yer no doin it right!

• Hello June. They are lovely photos, I do envy you. I have had hedgehogs visiting the garden in the past but  not recently unfortunately. I hope they stay around for you. 

Kezmo, sorry, what a shame, but I couldn't help smiling, you are definitely wildlife friendly.

Kind regards Jane.

• oh i just love hedgehogs!!!

lovely photos

have you checked them for tics? i had a hedgehog who had some and its very east to sort them out!!

Izzy

• How do you firstly, know if your hedgehog has tics? And secondly, how do you get rid of them on a wild animal?

Freda
  • Freda, you are on a very old thread so there will be no answers from those posters ... here is the RSPCA article on tick removal but there are many others if you google the question
    www.rspca.org.uk/.../ticks

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr