Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Viburnum x bodnantense "Dawn"

Just thought I would put up a pic of a shrub that has flowered all through the bad December just gone.

It has to be said a lot of the blossom was hit by the frosts but she is still putting on a show in the middle of February.

My only regret is that its planted in the middle of a boarder when it would have been better being nearer to where you walk as the scent is very sweet.

She needs to have one or two branches taken out sometime but other than that is very trouble free in a clay type soil with a bit of compost added.

Chris

A very old Shropshire Lad.

• BlueBird said:

The end bush in the hedge gets small honeysuckle looking  flowers on in spring and is very highly scented.  As it was there when we bought the bungalow I looked it up in a gardening book and think it said it was an Australian honeysuckle, must look it up again, the bees love it.

The shrub is lonicera purpusii (shrubby honeysuckle), it has a beautiful scent and is invaluable to the bees because of the time of year it flowers.

Build it and they will come.