Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Creating A Garden (Sort Of) Update 26-05-17

I recently demolished my garage in order to extend the garden and within the last few days I have broken out the garage floor slab. The idea is to create flowerbeds around the perimeter and to lay turf adjacent to that. The broken out flooring was only a couple of inches thick and once I have broken it down even more I was intending to put a topsoil/compost mix on top to create the flowerbeds. I am assuming that the broken up flooring will assist with drainage and stop the soil from simply washing away when it rains? I have several bags of Homebase topsoil and was intending to mix them in with compost of some sort. Can anyone offer advice and tell me if this is a good idea? I intend to plant climbing roses and honeysuckle at the far end of the garden because I have installed trellis at high level. Going forward I will be planting runner beans and tomatoes on the more exposed wall and pyracantha and other Sparrow friendly plants elsewhere. I will post some photos when I get home, in order to give a better idea of the layout. Hope someone can offer some advice. Thanks.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Thanks Wendy. I have just replaced the hazard tape and put out reworded signs and fingers crossed, they will do the trick. My neighbour always likes to help when he can, despite his age and various shoulder and knee problems! I do have a plan 'B' for the topsoil, but I'm really hoping I don't have to use it. Luckily the rain was only light today and never really persisted. There were forecasts of 70mph winds, but we didn't get anything like that.

• Progress indeed MC, doesn't the garden just look huge now.   Good luck for delivery and hope the forecast is kind to you.   Haven't been on here for about a week as we've had visitors, and I'm just catching up today.

Lot to learn

• Thanks Gaynor. If you haven't been on the Forum for a week then you'll have missed this:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/chat/f/2542/t/113755.aspx

My latest Robin update.

• O'h thanks for that update MC.   What brilliant photos and can't get over the photos of BR again, looking so well and letting you get so near again.   I'm very glad that GR is still feeding and taking also from your hand with no in garden fighting between the two of them, with the colder weather coming maybe they will settle down to their own routine and we will get two robins in the snow.lol

Lot to learn

• Wow MC,  its a wonder you don't need a Chiropractor after all that work !!   Can't believe you did all that in 3 hours and what a bonus to have such a lovely neighbour who was willing to give you a hand .... or at least make the tea  lol !  bless him.

It's looking like a "clean slate" now ready for your additional garden plans.  Very well done indeed, have a good rest tomorrow before the work begins again on Wednesday with the topsoil   lol     good job you are a youngster !!

Regards, Hazel 

• The main reason it was so fast was that I had bagged almost everything in rubble sacks, so all I had to do was load the skip, no shovelling or digging required. The larger items of rubble were hand loaded by my neighbour, until it was getting too much for him and he moved on to smaller pieces! I have arranged for the skip to be collected tomorrow, not sure when, but I'll have to 'stand guard' again to ensure nobody parks.

• Very well done MC (& neighbour), that's a huge amount of work, I bet it feels good though to see it all in the skip. Good luck with the top soil delivery.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Thanks Hazel. I'm rather anxious about the next two days, but hopefully all will turn out for the best!

• My things have come on so much. Your neighbour surely must be a fit 80ish indeed. A lot of work but will be well worth it in the end. Looking forward to the updates. Very wet and windy in Caithness today. Not even got out to throw some seed, mind you I think they are all under cover somewhere!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Skip collected and topsoil delivery due tomorrow between 8am and 1pm...