Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Creating A Garden (Sort Of) Update 26-05-17

I recently demolished my garage in order to extend the garden and within the last few days I have broken out the garage floor slab. The idea is to create flowerbeds around the perimeter and to lay turf adjacent to that. The broken out flooring was only a couple of inches thick and once I have broken it down even more I was intending to put a topsoil/compost mix on top to create the flowerbeds. I am assuming that the broken up flooring will assist with drainage and stop the soil from simply washing away when it rains? I have several bags of Homebase topsoil and was intending to mix them in with compost of some sort. Can anyone offer advice and tell me if this is a good idea? I intend to plant climbing roses and honeysuckle at the far end of the garden because I have installed trellis at high level. Going forward I will be planting runner beans and tomatoes on the more exposed wall and pyracantha and other Sparrow friendly plants elsewhere. I will post some photos when I get home, in order to give a better idea of the layout. Hope someone can offer some advice. Thanks.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Thanks Hazel. I have had to add worms to the new topsoil. Whilst it is full of nutrients for the flowers and grass, there are as yet no critters. Luckily my garden is packed with earthworms and I have been relocating some of them!

• Yesterday morning, before the work began (as described in my last posting)

A certain amount of prep work was required before I started moving the topsoil

I used some small offcuts of wood to create some anchor points for the trellis that will eventually be used for the runner beans

Some of the The Pigeon Mafia were nonplussed by my efforts

While others showed a passing interest

Ferals eye view

This is from first thing today.

The ever vigilant Site Foreman

End of the day and two tons of topsoil later... Obviously more rocks will be added to the 'rockery' but it needs to settle first. How long should I leave it before adding a few small plants?

• Gosh MC, your garden is coming on in leaps & bounds. I'm a gardener of the impatient variety & if it was me I'd poke a bit more soil imbetween the stones & plant straight away!!Especially if I've already got the plants.

I've been working on a similar type thing today, the old owner of the house put in several new doors & windows & buried all the rubble just where I want to plant a hedge! I've been digging it out all day. Phew!

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Thanks Hazel. We have had non-stop rain since yesterday evening, so that should help everything to settle into place. I don't have the plants yet, but weather permitting, I hope to get some small ones tomorrow. There is still the small matter of almost two tons of topsoil yet to be distributed! I have also had to install plastic 'anti-pigeon' spikes along the fence. Don't worry, the Ferals will be quite safe. I have installed them on the elevation rather than the top as an anti-cat device. Ironically, I am using anti-pigeon accessories to protect the Ferals!

• It has been raining for most of the time since Sunday and subsequently I have been unable to do much in the Lower Garden. I have managed to plant the rest of the climbers (Roses, Clematis etc) around the perimeter. I have also set out a small trail of stepping stones to give me access to the plants and also to avoid getting too much soil on my boots. Hopefully we will get a few days of sunshine and the topsoil distribution can continue. The wet weather has allowed the rockery to settle in.

The soil is very rich and as a result of all the rain, it is rather difficult to shift.

Perimeter climbing plants are all in place and there are small sections of plastic mesh or galvanised loops on the fence to facilitate the climbing process. I hope that the soil does eventually drain properly and it's not going to be a problem. I guess it's been 60 years or more since there was an open space here, so I expect to encounter some problems. Lucky I have time to let this develop slowly.

• Will look great when the climbers grow up to cover the trellis/fencing, they should take off really well come Spring ... I find it quite exciting to watch new plants make growth!  Additions of general compost/horticultural sand/very small pea shingle will help to create air pockets in solid soil & prevent hard pans forming ... also the earthworms will eventually work their magic & a good frosting is also beneficial!  Lots of grit/pea shingle on your rockery too to prevent plants getting waterlogged!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Coming on nicely MC. Come summer it will be lovely as all the climbers will have taken off to give a lovely splash of colour.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• It's bound to be a bit messy for a while MC so it's a good idea to put down some stepping stones. I'm sure it will all drain nicely, it's just a pain that it doesn't stop raining!! Our weather is better but my rubble removing is on hold for a day or so to let my body recover a bit!! I fell asleep 2 nights running in front of the telly after Sunday & Mondays digging! I don't envy you having to go & do a shift after doing the soil spreading.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Give it a day or two and you will be wondering where all the soil has gone MC, the rain has probably done a good job and you will be able to add more top soil before long and get planting in the rockery ready for next year's display.  As Wendy has said add plenty of grit etc to prevent waterlogging and with your worms all will be well.  It's beginning to look the part now and will only improve.

Lot to learn

• Thanks all. Is there a specific 'grit' that I can purchase from Homebase for example? Currently it is a topsoil blend with 20% peat free compost. Lovely for a flower bed or as a base for turf, but currently rather awkward due to the rain. Hopefully, if I add some of the Alpine plants that I indicated earlier in the thread, then the rockery will eventually develop. Each time I empty the water dishes, I find dozens of earthworms beneath them and they are being relocated into the nice rich topsoil. Given time they will weave their magic. I have another 6'x6' section of trellis to go up on the side wall, but that will have to wait until there's a break in the weather. I also have an area to section off for the Pyracantha, which  is rather small at present, but in time will provide food for the Wood Pigeons and shelter for the Spadgers. There were more than 100 of them in the garden yesterday. That's a figure I only see during fledging time. Clearly they lure of the mealies is having an effect!