Is the Big Garden Birdwatch a waste of our time?

I heard about the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch on the radio, and it seemed like something useful that anybody could do to contribute to scientific knowledge of changing bird populations and thus help conservation efforts.  So I put aside an hour the other weekend to gaze out of the window with my elderly father at his house.  I have only just got round to entering the results on the web site.

I was surprised that two questions were not asked - the location where the bird watch was carried out and the time of day.  Surely these are vital pieces of information if the data being collected are to be of any scientific value?  (For example, you'd expect to see different numbers and types of birds in central London at midnight as compared with a cliff top in Pembrokeshire at nine in the morning.)  But there was no facility to enter the time or location.  Instead they wanted to know my age, postal address, phone number and E-mail address.

This suggests to me that this isn't a scientific endeavour at all, but just a marketing exercise.

May I suggest that for future similar surveys the RSPB do ask where and when the birdwatch was carried out, even if they have no intention of using the information. It would prevent them from appearing dishonest, and, you never know, the survey results may one day be of interest to scientists rather than just empty-headed suits with degrees in marketing.

• Surely it's better to attempt something rather than do nothing to monitor our bird numbers .  There will always be people that will knock and criticise other peoples good works . It's sadly the way of the world that negativity will try to triumph over positivity and Grhm is nitpicking over tiny details .  What we should be discussing in a topic called,  'The Big Garden Birdwatch ' is exactly that and not the overall design and layout of the on line form.  .

• "You don't want to do it like that... you want to do it like this!!!" Haaa ;-)

Stick to your guns, Grhm ('Grmph'?), you'll convince everyone eventually! :-)

(Not a member of a Rotary Club by any chance? Thought I recognised the style.)

• I definitely did NOT waste my time doing the bid garden birdwatch - I've seen four different species in my garden this year that I have never even seen in my life before (I'm now mid-forties) and it's fascinating. The BGBW made me sit for an hour and take notice and I'm still taking notice now. Plus it's given me the enthusiasm to share what I've seen with other people in my suburban community and I've found out that lots of other people here enjoy birds too, so we're now sharing stories.

One plea though, I've discovered that RSPB doesn't share its BGBW results with the local Biodiversity Record Centres (we're in Sussex - I asked ours) and it would be good if it did - I understand this relates to Data Protection (contributers' personal details) but I'd happily tick an opt-in box to enable this, if we could have one, please.

• Paula, I couldn't agree with you more!  It really makes you take notice of what's in your immediate surroundings - much better than the TV.

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here