Blackcaps

Hi, has anyone else noticed Blackcaps in their gardens this winter ? I have a male and female started visiting 2 months ago. Seem to enjoy the suet/seed blocks, sunflower hearts and dried currants. I live in Berkshire, on the outskirts of a busy city with lots of trees and shrubbery around us. Have never seen Blackcaps in my garden before now.

• Hi, I live in South Wales and last year a male & female Blackcap were feeding in my garden. Sadly I've not seen them this year. I can only live in hope they return :-)

Maggie x

• Hi Jacqui

I live in Berkshire too and have had a male and female Blackcap visiting my garden for a couple of months now. In fact I've had them for the last three or four years now. Here are my two.

As you may know they are migrants that come to the UK for the winter from central Europe (probably Germany) and will return there to breed. The ones we see in summer go south to spend the winter in Spain and N Africa. This east to west migration seems to be an increasing trend possibly because so many people feed birds in the winter. I don't know about you but I find they are quite aggressive with other birds in protecting the food source.

Incidentally, just a bit of advice, if you are going to stay on the main Community it's not a good idea to use your email address as your user name. This is an open forum and you might get unwanted spam. Your can change your name by going to your profile page.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I live in newport, Ive got a female, not seen a male though

• I have a male who visits every day throughout the day - I'm in Cornwall :)

• Many thanks for your info and lovely snaps of the Blackcaps. Nice to know several are thriving and well fed in the area. Grateful for tip re identity - just joined this site today having taken part in the Birdwatch last weekend.